AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vanishing Objects

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
kcasperson
551 Views, 7 Replies

Vanishing Objects

A little background: We have a map of our primary lines in an ESRI .shp file, that superimposes nicely on our other shapefiles, for shoreline and rivers and everything else, that works fine. As part of some project planning I'm doing, I'm making a series of layouts, each taking a snapshot of an area, with a revision cloud around the lines we're planning to replace. 

I loaded the map up this morning and everything was as I saved it, but as I was creating a new layout and zooming to the correct region in my viewport, aevery single revision cloud I drew disappeared. As did all the annotations and other labels I'd made - absolutely everything that isn't from a database just up and vanished. 

Any thoughts or suggestions here...? I've turned off all the database links, there's nothing covering them up, I had none of them selected and used no delete commands, all I did was create a new layout via copy and adjust the viewport on it, they're just gone. I'm at a complete loss.

Thanks...

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
parkr4st
in reply to: kcasperson

did all the layers, drawing and display manager copy?  and are the layers turned on?

Message 3 of 8
rg4w

Do your revision clouds contain any text? if they are part of there own shape file you can convert the text to Mtext  with the label to text command  _MAPLABEL2ANN

I have had numerous problems with the visibility of shape file entity’s disappearing in Map 3d 2012 to no avail occasionally selecting all of the links to databases to Offline can help stablise the entitys within the drawing.

I also have a tendency to print to PDF to see if items are still present on output.

I hope this is of some use

Message 4 of 8
kcasperson
in reply to: parkr4st

All layers are turned on, and I only copied the layout, I did not copy any layers or anything else of the sort because I am not aware of any need to.

Message 5 of 8
kcasperson
in reply to: rg4w

They didn't contain any text, they were just revision clouds. I don't believe they were shapefiles either, they were just items I drew on the map base in a standard layer.

Your printing to PDF idea seems like a good one though - sadly I tried it, and my clouds and the other entities I drew over the main map remain absent.

Message 6 of 8
rg4w

how have you copied the layouts? if you are copying the layout with base point. or making a copy of an existing layout tab sometimes they will not show. you could try setting up a specific ucs  and view for each area you want in the layout  and drawing a new layout  and settign each new VP to the relevent ucs.

Message 7 of 8
kcasperson

I have an update:

While the reason for this crap error escapes me, I now know how to replicate it (on my system at least). 

If at any point I zoom out to the level that the revision cloud - ANY of them - is no longer visible, AutoCAD Map 2013 will effectively delete all of them, along with any other objects it cannot 'see'. Upon zooming back in, they will not reappear, no amount of regen or redraw commands will bring them back, the only solution I have found is to reload from a previous save.

Message 8 of 8
Murph_Map

This has been an issue for a nmuber of versions now. If you have too many (2-3) layouts the raster engine used for FDO objects and Autocad objects blows a gasket. Map3D works better with just one layout.

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost