AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Blocks and Making Arrow Heads

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
GPSJane
2217 Views, 15 Replies

Using Blocks and Making Arrow Heads

Is there a nice tutorial on blocks somewhere? I need to do this fairly quickly though.

I started to use blocks because I have shapes that I need to use often, only they change a little depending on where they are. A block needs to be rotated and stretched to fit. I find it exceedingly difficult to insert the block correctly.

So I wonder, will changing the arrowhead to fit the end of a line be difficult? I would love to be able to set a style for a layer that says all lines have arrow heads.

I hope I have not missed anything about arrow heads but by what I read the only way to have arrow heads is a block (or leaders but I need these to be lines).

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: GPSJane

Hi,

maybe I'm the only one, at least I don't understand what you try to do.

When reading about arrow-heads my first thought is: you'd like to draw dimensions ... then why don't you use dimensions?

On the other hand I read:

>> they change a little depending on where they are. A block needs to be rotated and stretched to fit

Why does a size of an arrow change by the positions? When "stretched to fit" ... fit to what?

Can you show us some samples of what you'd like to get?

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 16
GPSJane
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Ok I did originally write this in another thread then decided to create my own. My blocks need to rotate and stretch when inserted, no matter what shape they are. There are several types.

The arrow head is not for dimensions otherwise I would have used dimensions. Why can't I use arrows for other reasons? I would like lines with arrows at the end and can only see that I need to use blocks. They would need to rotate according to the direction of the line. They may even need to change size if I need them to.

Hence, I think I should use a block tutorial because I can't get what I want at the moment. Also, it would help if someone here has used arrow heads on lines and can help. I'll draw and attach some pictures.

block example.png

Also, how do I look for blocks that the previous person working on this data would have used?

Message 4 of 16
parkr4st

gpsjane

same as alfred, a bit confused

what do you want arrows for and how often do you repeat the use?

There are a variety of web sites with arrows all drawn including dynamic blocks.  Why not find what you need if it exists, download it and use it.

if you can decribe what you want and how you will use it someone reading may just post what you need.

dave

Message 5 of 16
GPSJane
in reply to: parkr4st

I don't know how to explain this any clearer; I need to create blocks that I can then insert in different orientations and at different sizes. One of those blocks would be an arrow head but there would be others like the square.

I need lines with a directional arrow to indicate the direction that a borehole was drilled, if that matters. I use them a lot.

I know I can download a block but that is not the problem. I can't insert the blocks correctly at the orientation and size I want. If a line is facing 62 degrees then how do I get the arrowhead to rotate to 62 degrees (from the 0 degrees I created it at) when I insert it?

I have not had time to find a tutorial yet but I would read it if anyone had one to pass one.

Message 6 of 16
GPSJane

In addition I don't know how to save them separately and to apply them to all my files at once so that they will always be available. Or can I make them available from an application level for all files I work on?

I would like to be able to add them as I need them then always have them available at all times.

And then I need to be able to have them insert in the correct layer, if that is possible.

Message 7 of 16
parkr4st

ok

Have you used Toolpalettes?  One way to get it done.

if not command TOOLPalettes or view tab Tool Palettes

rc a tab and new pallette.  name it arrows.

draw a block and copy and paste it to the palette

d &  d from the palette the arrow you want into the drawing.

on the TPs select the Draw tab and RC line and select properties.  you can set a variety of items there including layer.

however you may look into http://www.dotsoft.com/mwgeology.htm for example. special tools for special work

and there are other users who will have better answers given exact what professson, utility, trade, etc you work in.

Message 8 of 16
GPSJane
in reply to: parkr4st

@parkr4st wrote:

ok

Have you used Toolpalettes?  One way to get it done.

if not command TOOLPalettes or view tab Tool Palettes

on the TPs select the Draw tab and RC line and select properties.  you can set a variety of items there including layer.

however you may look into http://www.dotsoft.com/mwgeology.htm for example. special tools for special work

and there are other users who will have better answers given exact what professson, utility, trade, etc you work in.

Thanks! I did not know about that. I'll hopefully have some time to try it out this week.

I think I have used Mapsoft but to be honest we don't manage our borehole data in AutoCAD but in Surpac. I need to represent the location of things on plans in AutoCAD so we can print out or import to Surpac.

Message 9 of 16
GPSJane

Oops I meant MapWorks
Message 10 of 16
GPSJane

Ok, so tool pallettes had all this stuff I didn't want so I never used them. Now I have my own blocks and hatch patterns on there. What a relief 🙂

But I can't insert them properly. Well the hatch patterns are good but the block I am inserting is teensy, even though I am using the same units and it gets inserted to some random layer instead of the layer I am working on. Why would that happen?

Message 11 of 16
GPSJane

And even though the properties are set to 'By Layer' the colours are wrong 😞

Message 12 of 16
Murph_Map

Are you setting the properties in the palette or in the dwg the blocks are in? 

ToolPaletteBlocks.PNG

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 13 of 16
GPSJane
in reply to: Murph_Map

Ah, thanks! And there is an option for prompt to rotate, fantastic.

Message 14 of 16
Murph_Map

@GPSJane wrote:

Ah, thanks! And there is an option for prompt to rotate, fantastic.

You're welcome.

Murph
Message 15 of 16
foxeec
in reply to: Murph_Map

Murph,

On a somewhat side note:

I noticed that in your screen shot, on your tool pallette, there is a tab for map symbols.  Is that something you custom made, or is that part of the Map software?  Just curious, as i have Map 2015, and i don't have that tab on my tool pallettes and now wondering if it wasn't installed correctly.

thanks!
Lorrie

Message 16 of 16
Murph_Map
in reply to: foxeec

That tab is one I created from the Design Center. If you open up design center "DC" then navigate to the C :\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2015\Map\Sample\Symbols dwg you can create a tool palette from that dwg with all the blocks. Or any of the blocks in the dwgs in the sample folders or your own dwgs. 

Murph

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost