AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use Xref to Delete Objects

1 REPLY 1
SOLVED
Message 1 of 2
mekohler
4240 Views, 1 Reply

Use Xref to Delete Objects

Hi, I have 2 drawings of right of ways.  What I would like to do is delete all the right of ways found in drawing 1 that are located in drawing 2.  This is kind of complicated to explain.  So I would like to overlay drawing 2 over drawing 1, then if a right of way in drawing 2 also exists in drawing 1 it would be deleted.  Hopefully this is clear.

Thanks,

Michael Kohler

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
diane.cloutier
in reply to: mekohler

Hi Michael,

You can use the Drawing Cleanup tools (Tools > Map Edit > Drawing Clean Up, or _MAPCLEAN command) to find and/or delete duplicate objects.  I tried doing this with two sample files using xref, but got an error because an invalid character, "|" gets added between the xref'd file name and layer name in the Drawing Cleanup dialogue box.  Instead of using xref, you can use the Drawing Query function to "combine" the 2 files and then run the Drawing Cleanup to delete the duplicates.  I am not quite sure which drawing you want to delete from, but basically:

1) Open Drawing 1 (or the drawing you want to delete the layers in)

2) In Map Explorer, attach Drawing 2 (or the drawing you want to compare to)

3) Define and execute the "Current Query" in Draw Mode based on the layer and/or geographic location you want to compare (make sure that the layer in Drawing 2 has a different name than the layer you are comparing in Drawing 1)

4) You can then use the Drawing Cleanup tool to delete duplicate objects (use the layer you want to delete from as the "Objects to include in drawing cleanup" and the layer you want to compare in "Objects to anchor in drawing cleanup")

5) Once you have all the duplicates deleted, you can also delete the new layer created from the Drawing Query in Drawing 1.

I hope this makes sense and lets you accomplish what you are trying to do.  Please let me know if it works or if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Diane Cloutier

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost