AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update Feature class data

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
andreijj
480 Views, 4 Replies

Update Feature class data

Hi All!

I would like to update attribute data of polygon features, which comes from sqlite, shp, mssql or sdf. If i select several features, and then retype the new values on the property tab, it works fine (but too slow).
If i select hundred of features, and retype the new field, the Map3D is crash at all times. I'm exported the data to SDF, because this is the own GIS datatype of the Autocad, but this isn't help.
In my experience (QGIS, SAGA, GRASS, ESRI) this is gonna be working fine with thousand of features (the data hase been controlled in another GIS softwares, and its work great).

With this method the update is faster, but 4-5 hundred of features it is not working well (the Map3D2011 still crashing).

What is the right method to update feature table (insert row, update records, update row from calculation)? The property tab, or table view (and calculation)?

Thanks for your help!!!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: andreijj

Hi,

>> retype the new values

Do you really have a paper on your side, then you search for a geometry object and "type in values manually"? Then you don't have the problem with performance as you have to search the records for which to modify the value.

Or do you have a database with something like an ID and a new value for the record with this ID ==> in that case I would set the gis-data with this new database in relation and replace the fields in the gis-dataset by copy&paste or by using calculated fields, ... just a few clicks.

If you are running the first way, then try to run the second one, make a table from your paper and then join this two tables.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 5
andreijj
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Thanks for your reply, Alfred!

It was a theoretic question, because this problem surprised me a lot, so i just start to testing the capabilities of Map3D as follow (few minutes to try it):

1. Create a thousand of closed polyline with array command, and save as dwg - it's look like a grid 

2. From this dwg i'm create sdf, sqlite or shp with mapexport command - export only the layername property, and checked "create polygon from closed polylines" box

3. Connect the exported data source with FDO provider - it has only ID and layername field

4. Try to edit the layername to anything, for few hundred features - the auto checkout is off, follow these steps:

• 1. Connect to an FDO data source in AutoCAD Map 3D.
  • 2. Select many features
  • 3. Hit Check Out (same as running MAPCHECKOUT).
  • 4. In the AutoCAD Properties Pane, try to "globally" edit the value of one attribute for all of your selected features.

I can edit only 300-400 feature at same time, that takes 1-2 minutes...

An that was a very simple example. What if i have an Oracle database, a lot of tables and thousands of features, which have 10-20 attribute fields? For example: parcels table, which have owner field. Owner "A company" is buying all parcel from owner "B company" (2000 parcels). So, i need to update the parcels table, for this first select these 2000 parcel (by attribute owner), then just type the owner from "B company" to "A company".

My ways:

- Property tab: With the property tab can't do this globaly, because the Map3D crash (my hardware is good enough)

- Create a Calculation - i can't update the owner filed from calculation. I can create a new field, which is calculated from owner...and this new field is only memory, so i need to save the sqlite/sdf, or batch copy the shp. It's too circumstantial.

- Update the table in the database software, not in the Map3D. 

Hope you understand what is my problem.

Regards, 

Andreijj

Message 4 of 5
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: andreijj

Hi,

>> I can create a new field, which is calculated from owner...and this new field is only memory

Then I would open the datatable (within Map3D, for that GIS-layer), mark the column with the calculated values, <Ctrl><C> (for copy to clipboard), then mark the fixed column where these values should be saved, <Ctrl><V> (for paste from clipboard). Does that also take such a long time?

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 5 of 5
andreijj
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Much better, maybe this is enough...unhappily i have some scruples.
Thanks for your replies!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost