AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unusual character in my data exported from dwg to shapefile.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
ljohnstone
470 Views, 11 Replies

Unusual character in my data exported from dwg to shapefile.

HELP PLEASE!

When exporting a polygon dwg from AutoCad to a shapefile...in the shapefile, in certain polygons,  I am getting questions marks in my attribute data where there should not be any? it just seems like it "randomly" replaces some characters and words with a "?" or someother character. 

when I import that shapefile back into a dwg...the character remain as questions marks.

any ideas? Thanks

Larisa

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Hi,

look to >>>this thread<<<, is that comparable to your situation? Can you show data so we can try to reproduce that?

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 12

Thanks Alfred.

Yes this is almost the same issue I am having. I think I have figured what the problem is BUT not the solution. It has to do with the max  (132) character limit that Autocad has for it fields. Strange how I can see all the data when i select an object and look at the object data in a dwg, but export it to shapefile or sdf and it truncates it to 132 characters and replaces the rest of the characters with symbols? So I essentially lose my information...at least part of it.

I don't supposed you know away around this?

Not only do I have to export to Shapefiles and need all of the data...even if it is more than 132, I sometimes have to export to sdf3 format.

thanks

Larisa

Message 4 of 12

Hi,

then an option is to create first a schema for a SDF, there you can assign the field a length of  >128 and save that SDF.

Next is to start command _MAPEXPORT and select this (empty) SDF to be used for the data.

HTH, - alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 5 of 12
braudpat
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Hello Alfred

If I remember well for some obscure reasons, the limitations for a string Object Data filed is 132 characters !

It's crazy , I could admit a 255 characters limtation !!

<Humour ON>

Maybe the original OD programmer has been traumatized by an old large fast printer ...

<Humour OFF>

Patrice ( Supporting Troops ) - Autodesk Expert Elite
If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 6 of 12
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: braudpat

Hi,

>> the limitations for a string Object Data filed is 132 characters

I would then not understand the screenshot showing the content of the object-data showing more characters.

Well, I have not tried it yet, but if my suggestion fails also then it seems to be more an issue of MAPEXPORT than OD (imho).

But let's see what TO finds out with his data.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 7 of 12

It seems that if you are just looking at the object data in the dwg...it is fine, you can see all the data. You can continue to type as many characters as you like. The problem only occurs when trying to export it out to an sdf3 or a shapefile.

thanks

Larisa

Message 8 of 12
braudpat
in reply to: ljohnstone

Hello

+1 with Larisa

It's a problem with MAPEXPORT (Maximum = 132 chars) and the SDF & SHP (and maybe some other formats) formats ...

I don't know the limit but I never use more than 132 (If I plan a MAPEXPORT) / 255 characters but if I remember well it could be more INTERNALLY !

The infamous limit of 132 chars could come from the very old ADE module (coming from Landmark) available on ACAD R12 ...

If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 9 of 12
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

well, I tried it now.

Yes, it seems to be not possible to export more than 132 char per field. Also my suggestion with a predefined schema does not help.

>> The infamous limit of 132 chars could come from the very old ADE module

Well, I see a difference if you assign the objectdata by

command _ADEATTACHDATA ==> there you can only type in 132 char's in the dialog

if you modify the data in the property window I got 200 char's assigned to a string-field for an object. (but also not exported).

The alternative method I see now as chance:

use _MAPEXPORT to export the geometry and an ID-field from the OD-table (must be a unique ID)

use the ADEQUERY mechanism to export the rest of the object data to a text file (again containing the ID field), import that into a database and join this data with the previous geometry-export.

Good luck, - alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 10 of 12

Thank you so much for your help.

Yes, the schema solution did not work. I am going to give your other suggestion a try. Anything is better than what I am dealing with now. I appreciate you looking into this for me.

thanks

Larisa

Message 11 of 12
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi again,

and just to make sure. that's the link to the help >>>click<<< which tells us the limit for string-fields in OD is 132.

So it's "as designed" (and we might discuss now, why have we found ways to save more than 132 chars into a string-field 😉 ).

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 12 of 12
braudpat
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Hello from France

I have done some tests and I am disapointed !

Internally I can define and use a Object Data String field with 400 characters inside ... No problem !

Of course if I MAPEXPORT, the field will be truncated to 132 chars ! ... GRRR ...

UNFORTUNATELY when a build a MAP Report Query to extract in CSV the string fields, the field will be truncated to 132 chars !! ... GRRR ... GRRR ...

So the possible solution of Alfred is not usable ...

The "TEST_100" field contains 400 chars and the "TEST_130" field contains 132 chars ...

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost