AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unreferenced png files

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
smithy
1931 Views, 5 Replies

Unreferenced png files

When I bring an aerial into my drawing using FDO and then remove the layer or unchecked the box I get an list of unreferenced files in my external reference dialog box. Why is that and how do I get rid of them?

I've tried to detach them and nothing happens?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

the .PNG's are a resample of the FDO connected imagery for the purposes of translating/reprojecting into your current drawing/map.  it's part of why it can be faster to use "mapiinsert" to attach images, but then you loose the "draping" of the FDO connection over your surface models.  just ignore them.

However, you should periodically remember to purge your temporary directory where these reside.

From Windows Explorer, type "%temp%" (which is a MS system variable) at the address bar.  Feel free to delete all files in this directory - you won't be adversely impacted by their "going away" but you will find a lot of junk accumilates there.

Cheers!

Message 3 of 6

oops, I should have stated no quotes - %temp% - just to prevent any confusion... my bad.

Message 4 of 6

Hi

Same 'keywords' but an entirely different problem.  I have used data connect to add 8 orthographic photos to a new dwg.  They are there and seem to be connected, but in the xref manager it says they are unreferenced (they show up as pngs even tho' they are sid files)   This would not be an issue except I am trying to use the dwgs I created with GIS data as xrefs in a different Acad dwg, but the xrefs load but are not visible.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Message 5 of 6

rather than use FDO to connect the images, try using "mapiinsert"  You should be working in a drawing with the same coordinate system as the images.  If you need the images in a different coordinate system, then create a temporary/interim drawing in the images' CS and use a drawing query to convert them to the CS you're working in.  Then you can handle the images in "vanilla" ACAD as Xref's.

Message 6 of 6

I'm a little upset since I just opened a drawing file from 6 months ago to make a few color changes and my draped imagery is gone.  So looking back what could have happened to it, I discovered that it was deleted after reading this posting, stating that they are all temporary files, and therefore, all deletable. 

Well, I actually need the ones that I use in a drawing and send to a client to remain on my hard drive so I can update my map view and easily reprint it.  If I had known that there was legitimate images referenced in the drawing file, I wouldn't have deleted them. 

How can separate the draped imagery and styled DEM file imagery views I want to keep with all the other resamples that are temporary? 

What's everyone else doing that I'm overlooking?  Is there a better and easier way?  In this case, I overlapped a geology map of a county, draped it on a couple of DEM files, and selected the best 3D view to see the detail the client preferred all in Data Connect.

Thanks in advance

-Randy

Tags (1)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost