AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Translation to MapInfo format

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
rjmbooth
366 Views, 2 Replies

Translation to MapInfo format

Hi,

I'm trying to translate an AutoCAD 2013 Drawing into MapInfo format. I want to retain the 'Object type:' Geometry properties for each line but only get the default line geometry properties. Does anyone know how to link the 'Object type:' Geometry properties to the lines for translation? The drawing author called them 'civil 3d pipe network objects'.

Thankyou.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
antoniovinci
in reply to: rjmbooth

Upon running the _MAPEXPORT command, ensure you've chosen also the following one:

mapexport.gif

Message 3 of 3
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: rjmbooth

Hi,

welcome @forums.autodesk.com !

>> I'm trying to translate an AutoCAD 2013 Drawing into MapInfo format. 

>> I want to retain the 'Object type:' Geometry properties

If you have plain AutoCAD (no Map3D) then the only chance I see (without 3rd party application) is to save the drawing as DXF and hope that MapInfo can import it.

If you have Map3D you can start the command _MAPEXPORT to export your geometry to one or more SHP-files, there you have the option to define what properties you want to export with the geometry (second tab in the dialog ==> select attributes).

>> The drawing author called them 'civil 3d pipe network objects'.

Now it get's thrilling 😉

If there are Civil3D-objects in the drawing and you want to export them you need Civil3D as the _MAPEXPORT command does not recognize Civil3D pipes. If you have Civil3D you can use command _AECCEXPORTTOSDF to get Civil3D objects exported as SDF and then convert SDF to SHP (the simpliest way to do this is to create a new drawing, use _MAPIMPORT to import the SDF and then _MAPEXPORT to export them to shape ... don't forget to select the attribute-data in both functions).

[EDIT] Sorry, I forgot that _MAPEXPORT can export to MapInfo's filetypes directly, so no need to go via SHP-format [/EDIT]

Good luck, - alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost