AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tracking elevations from a tiff

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
MKH-VB
1407 Views, 9 Replies

tracking elevations from a tiff

was able to connect a geo-tiff to my map. Can someone tell me how to "track" elevations? Just want to display or list the elevations as I move the cursor. Thanks

mkh
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: MKH-VB

Hi,

there is no objectsnap, even no geometry you have when displaying a raster-dem like model. So there is also no option to get the elevation at specific points directly.

What you can do: you can create contour lines from your tiff, these are stored into a SDF, that will give you geometry and so you can get elevations from that contours/points on contours.

HTH, - alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 10
antoniovinci

I too fear there's no way to get that in Autocad, while it's automatic in a free software like Qgis, sir.

Message 4 of 10
MKH-VB
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

how do i create contours in autocad map from the image?

Thanks

mkh
Message 5 of 10
braudpat

Hello from France

With ACAD MAP (since Release 2008 maybe 2007) you can create elevation contour from ESRI Raster Elevation files : .ASC files in fact 

Sorry I don't know if it's possible also from GeoTiff !?

Here a nice french tutorial to generate elevation contour from ESRI .ASC files :

http://geospatialfrance.typepad.com/geospatialfrance/2007/09/convertir-un-mn.html

I hope you can follow the tutorial even if you are not French !?

Patrice ( Supporting Troops ) - Autodesk Expert Elite
If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 6 of 10
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> how do i create contours in autocad map from the image?

In the task pane of Map 3D (command _MAPESPACE) right-click your DEM layer ==> there you find the option to create a contour layer.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 7 of 10
braudpat

Hello Alfred

YES I am a "poor stupid" boy !

I am using often this feature (since a long time ago) but only with ESRI .ASC Files !!

And the french tutorial says >>>

En résultat, vous obtenez l'affichage de votre MNT.

Ce MNT peut être dans les formats GeoTIFF, Esri Grid Ascii (extension .asc), Esri Grid Binaire <<<

Thanks to open my eyes !!

Patrice ( Supporting Troops ) - Autodesk Expert Elite
If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 8 of 10
MKH-VB

Thanks very much....I have the contours created which brings another issue.....how could I raise that DEM by a multiplication factor of 3.28. I need to do this because the image is in meters, and I need US feet. Thanks. MKH
mkh
Message 9 of 10
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> how could I raise that DEM by a multiplication factor of 3.28

I created a video that shows how to create contours from DEM and as a second step how to scale the elevation of the contours.

Let me know if you have additional questions to that.

>>>video on youtube<<<

HTH, - alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 10 of 10
MKH-VB

awesome. I appreciate the step by step!
mkh

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost