AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thematic color scheme edits?

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
ccoles
1865 Views, 17 Replies

Thematic color scheme edits?

I'm hoping someone can help me. I have a drawing with some 3,300 samples that need to be colorized. I cuurently have found where I can create a theme that will provide the rules for each of the samples and use a color scheme to produce what I need. However, some of the colors are too dark once printed. I'm looking for a way to either edit a current color scheme or create one with faded colors. I tried 3 different color schemes, and each has a set of colors too dark for what we ulimately want. Map 3D seems to be able to import a custom color scheme, but I've been unable to locate a sample file that I can manipulate to the colors I want or find a file format to create the colors and have Map 3D read them. Currently, I'm using a color scheme with 7 colors in it that is parsing out well for my needs. Individually adjusting these colors is a bit of a stretch, since I'd need to adjust every instance of the color in the rules, which has one color repeating at many as 460 times and 3 colors are considerd too dark. Is there any way to edit a color scheme or import one in?

Thanks.

Windows 7 64-bit
Dell Precision T5610, Dual-Xeon 2.6Ghz, 16 Gig RAM
Civil 3D 2013
17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
parkr4st
in reply to: ccoles

your colors are too dark relative to what?  background, other map layers?

points, line, or polygons?

have you tried the pastel colors in the other colors pallet?

what is your desired range of colors?

dave

Message 3 of 18
ccoles
in reply to: parkr4st

Thank you for the reply. Yes, the colors are too dark for the background data and that data is getting lost in the dark colors. Darkening up the background makes it conflict with the labels, and using a mask on the labels blocks too much data. I've tried various built-in color schemes, but an all pastel color scheme doesn't appear to be included. I have one with some pastels, but it also has some dark colors in it causing the same issues.

Windows 7 64-bit
Civil 3D 2013
Message 4 of 18
parkr4st

Can you post a screen grab snippet of a portion of the map so we can see it?  Picture worth 1000 words  🙂

Message 5 of 18
ccoles

Here's a screen shot without the labels. You can see how the background lines are getting lost in the two darker colors. I also included a screen shot of the available palettes I have to work with.

Thanks.

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.jpg

Windows 7 64-bit
Civil 3D 2013
Message 6 of 18
parkr4st

Are the lines part of the data set or a seperate layer?   are the lines on top of the data layer?

Message 7 of 18
ccoles

Sorry for the lack of reply. The lines are part of the data set. I experimented wih darkening the lines and found a solution to get me by. Not the most ideal, but it worked for my deadline. I'd still like to know how to modify the thematic color palettes. I'd like to have a pastel color range in the future. If anyone knows how to do this, please reply.

Windows 7 64-bit
Civil 3D 2013
Message 8 of 18
phil_borycens

Good news -- creating a custom palette for use with a Theme in Style Editor is possible in AutoCAD Map 3D!

You can get a glimpse at the default color palettes by browsing to the following folder (in 2015) --

C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD 2015\Map\Support\en-US

All of the files that have the .pf extension are palettes. You can open one in a text editor to get a feel for the syntax.

If you edit a palette or create a new one while Map 3D is already running, you'll have to re-start the program to gain access to your changes.

Thanks to ALFRED for sharing the above knowledge!

Phil Borycens
Message 9 of 18
parkr4st
in reply to: phil_borycens

phil

I copied one of the .pf and pasted it in the en-US as Depth-1-Copy.pf; and I wrote up a .pf and named it PantonePastels.pf; restarted Map3d and neither shows in the list.  Is the list limited by the number of palettes it can show?

dave

Message 10 of 18
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

it's not the filename that makes an additional listitem, if you copy a file you have to open it and change at least the 3rd line (TITLE) to a unique name. That name is then added to the list (after restarting AutoCAD Map 3D).

HTH, - alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 11 of 18
ccoles
in reply to: phil_borycens

It works!! Thanks, guys. This is exactly what I was looking for. Now, I have the color palette I was wanting and have the map looking exactly the way it should. Major kudos to ALFRED for the extended explanation. The edits were simple, easy, and quick since I only needed 7 colors. I entered the new palette name in the third line, and it appeared on the list once I restarted. Thanks again!!!

Capture3.JPG

Windows 7 64-bit
Civil 3D 2013
Message 12 of 18
parkr4st
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi Alfred

I did change the third line Title and in the new file a new title.  I restarted map and have rebooted to catch an update on other software and still no new items in the list.  Any other setting I may have to change? 

One looks like this

;AECIPALETTEVER 1
;Autodesk Raster Design Palette File
;Title: Pastels

Thanks

Dave

Message 13 of 18
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> ... still no new items in the list

Into which directory have you saved that file?

What release of AutoCAD Map 3D (or Civil 3D) are you running?

And there is no other file with "Pastels" in the third line?

Does your file end with an empty line (so you can move the cursor one line below the last value)?

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 14 of 18
parkr4st

Into which directory have you saved that file?      C:\program files\autodesk\autocad 2015\map\support\en-us

the *.pf files also are in this directory    C:\Program Files\Autodesk\AutoCAD Raster Design 2015\UserDataCache\Support   Adding Pastels there made no difference either.

Map Options shows C:\program files\autodesk\autocad 2015\map\support\en-us is listed under Working Support File Search Path

What release of AutoCAD Map 3D (or Civil 3D) are you running?   Autodesk Infrastructure Design Suite Standard 2015   Product Version J.51.0.0, SP1

And there is no other file with "Pastels" in the third line?  No

Does your file end with an empty line (so you can move the cursor one line below the last value)?  I added the empty line.

I also noticed each color code in the original AD  *.pf files has an empty space at the end of each line so added those as well. 

I still am not seeing the additions in the palette dropdown list.

Thanks

Dave

Message 15 of 18
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

wow, great feedback, but now I'm in the situation to not have ideas what to check ... except of that ones:

Are you running English Map 3D or do you have another folder for another language pack (instead of/parallel to "en-us")?

To make sure you are working in the correct directory you can try to move all *.pdf files to a folder not found by Map 3D (leave one or two files to have at least one file existing when Map 3D starts filling the list). Then start Map 3D and see if the list is reduced to that one or two items.

I see two chances (for now):

• you are modifying *.PF in another folder than Map 3D is using
  • the editor you open that file (which editor did you use) modifies something in PF-file, maybe code set code-set?

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 16 of 18
parkr4st

Thanks Alfred,

I do have the english version and no other language

• you are modifying *.PF in another folder than Map 3D is using   I searched C:/ for *.pf and those are the only 2015 file folders with *.pf

• the editor you open that file (which editor did you use) modifies something in PF-file, maybe code set code-set?  I used MS notepad. 

Message 17 of 18
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

have you tried the cross check "moving most PF-files away" to see if there are then less themes in the list?

And I have (with 2015) that directory found, that holds PF files too (and might be necessary to copy a modified PF file to:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\Autodesk AutoCAD Map 3D 2015\R20.0\deu\Support

whereas the oranve part will be "enu" in case of english operating system.

I have also attached a file that worked for me, so just to make sure it has nothing to do with the files internals 😉

HTH, - alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 18 of 18
parkr4st

Alfred

that is the one.  I moved the file to that directory and it is now in the list.

I greatly appreciate your help!  Smiley Happy

Maybe in come century ahead AD will add a "make a custom palette" tool that will put the *.pf where it belongs.

Dave

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost