AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

spatial shp join ODBC table label fails

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
richardj
510 Views, 3 Replies

spatial shp join ODBC table label fails

I am having a Styled Multiline labeling problem which did not occur in Civil 3D 2011.

I am editing 2011 Civil 3D GIS cemetery maps which uses shape files for the graves.  I have joined the shape file table with a ODBC connection to an access database with a one to one relationship.  I styled the polygon labels to use Multilline labels using a grave ID from the native shape data table and a deceased name from the joined access database.

This year I am updating the maps and I am using Civil 3D 2013.  The cemetery is split up into 19 maps to stay under the 2000 label limit.  The first 12 maps needed no restyling and updated without a hitch.  Several of the maps are requiring me to restyle the labels.  Every label works as it should expect one.

One Feature Label is Styled to use the expression: CONCAT ( B_L_P, ' \n ' , "C1|Lot_Deceased" )

I validate the expression and it is valid.

B_L_P is a native table property,

C1|Lot_Deceased is a joined table property.

The table properties are selected off of the list in the expression builder.

I click on "OK"  and this shows in the box:      "CONCAT  ( B_L_P, ' \n ' , "C1|Lot_Deceased" )"

The extra quote marks makes this not a valid express and the program puts "text" on the polygons.

From experimentation, I found that I can label the features with the joined table properties but not with the multiline option in Civil 3D 2013.  I have attached screen shots before and after clicking ok.

Any ideas as to what has happened to the Map 3d part of Civil 3D 2013 since 2011 or is there a work around to get a multiline label on a polygon feature with a joined table?

Same computer as was used in 2011

HP Pro 3130 PC

16 G ram

i7 processor

ATI video card

Windows 7 pro

standalone install

sp1 installed.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
phil_borycens
in reply to: richardj

We have identified a problem in the software and it's being tracked as DE1705 "Impossible to label using joined fields".

This needs to be investigated by a developer to figure out what went wrong between the 2012 and 2013 releases (it fails in both the 2013 and 2014 releases).

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, and I'm sorry that I do not have more information to share with you at this time.

Phil Borycens
Message 3 of 4
tsimenc
in reply to: phil_borycens

There is a problem with "|" sign (concatenate, pipe). It is even not possible to label a new sdf made from layer with joined table, because of "|" sign in field names. I strongly suggest testing and solving that issue.

Message 4 of 4
phil_borycens
in reply to: richardj

Hi everyone,

Thanks to my colleague Brigitte I have a workaround to suggest. The basic idea is:

1. Copy the CONCAT expression that you wish to use (that isn't being preserved) and paste it temporarily in a text editor.

2. Stylize the geometric feature using one of its built-in Properties and apply these changes.

3. In Display Manager, right-click and choose Save Layer.

4. In a text editor, open the Layer definition. Search for the tag <ParameterValue> and within that tag, enter your CONCAT expression.

5. Save the Layer file.

6. Remove the existing Layer definition from Display Manager and Load the Layer definition that you just edited.

Your joined expression should work this way...

Phil Borycens

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost