AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shapefile joined to ODBC connected table - Filter not working

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
dlalonde
694 Views, 8 Replies

Shapefile joined to ODBC connected table - Filter not working

I have a Shapefile layer added to the map via FDO. I joined it to a SQL Server based table via ODBC. I can see all the data (shapefile & ODBC table) correctly in the attribute table, but when comes time to "Query to Filter Data...", only fields in the Shapefile are available and displayed in the Filter dialogue. I want to be able to Filter using fields in the joined. If I export that same Shapefile to an SDF and THEN try the same join and filter, all the fields from the SDF as well as the joined ODBC table are available in the filter dialogue. What's up? Thanks, Denis
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: dlalonde

Hi,

what version of Map3D do you have?

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 9
dlalonde
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Oops, sorry. It's 2013
Message 4 of 9
braudpat

Hello

*** 1 ***

I don't think it will solve your problem but it's better !

Have you installed the SP 2.1 for MAP 2013 ?

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=21949876&linkID=9240858

*** 2 *** The bad news

I have found sometimes strange bugs/limitations with joins with MAP 2013 (even with SP 2.1)

And I have not the same problem with MAP 2012 (+ SP 2), so ...

Maybe it's your problem !, Not sure at all !

Can you do a test with MAP 2012 + SP 2 or with MAP 2014 + SP 1 ?

Have you done the same join with an older MAP ?

Bye, Pat

Patrice ( Supporting Troops ) - Autodesk Expert Elite
If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 5 of 9
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> If I export that same Shapefile to an SDF and THEN try the same join and filter

Tested that and sorry to say:

• connection from SHP to SQL-Server/ODBC (via connectionstring) does not allow to filter by using joined fields
  • when exporting the SHP to SDF, then connect to the SDF and join again to SQL-Server I'm also not able to get the joined fields in the list for filtering ... so you have an advantage if you are able to do that with SDF, I can't.
  • Sometimes it makes a difference depending on how the primary key or index is defined in SQL-Server, but with a little bit playing I have not got a solution now, sorry.

In some situations it might be an option to load the SHP, run the joining and export that as new SDF ... because then you have the data if the joined fields transfered from SQL_Server into your SDF.

The advantage is then

• you can do your filters then as the fields are stored directly to the geometry
  • that you don't need the (slower) join-connection to SQL-Server
  • The disadvantage might be

• the data is duplicated and so any changes to the data of the SQL-Server tables are not represented in your SDF/your project.
  • This image shows the joined options, 2 fields in the SDF (+ 1 for geometry) and the rest is from relation to data from SQL-Server ==> and the query dialog does not show the additional fields.

2013-12-15 11-04-21.png

- alfred -

PS: I have tested with AutoCAD Map3D 2013 (G.114 HF1), AutoCAD Map3D 2014 (I.108 SP1) ... all German ... on Win7x74 with SQL-Server 2012 (64bit)

Alfred NESWADBA
    Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
    (not an Autodesk consultant)
    Message 6 of 9
    dlalonde
    in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Thanks for the help guys. I tried installing SP2.1 to no avail. Indexes and PKs are all correctly defined. I do believe, like braudpat asked, that this did work in previous versions of Map3D. Unfortunately, the data has to remain SHP, so exporting to SDF (while it is a workaround) isn't a viable option.
    Message 7 of 9
    phil_borycens

There is an issue that I have reproduced on Map 3D 2014 (with SHP joined to ODBC) that might also be the cause of the issue you report. It is being tracked as DE1705 internally. I call it "Impossible to label using joined fields". Basically when you got to Style Editor > Style Label > and choose Expression to build an expression to label features, only the native fields 'stick'; when the Expression includes fields from the joined attributes, the Expression changes itself unexpectedly after hitting OK to leave the Create/Modify Expressions window.

This is nominated for a fix but unfortunately I do not know if/when/how a fix will be produced or released.

I hope this helps to at least confirm the behavior that you are seeing.

Phil Borycens
    Message 8 of 9
    braudpat

Hello Autodesk & Everyone (from France)

An other bug/problem maybe linked to the ODBC problem ...

Today I haven't any MAP and Oracle to check  again, sorry !

But If I remember well when doing double join (this means join on a Oracle Table and join again on a other Oracle table) 

With MAP 2013 (and may be with MAP 2014) I can't use any field coming from the double join (second table) to do something ...

But I can use fields coming from the first join ...

And with MAP 2012 : no problem !

So I think it could be linked to the general problem of join with ODBC !

Waiting for your answer ...

Bye, Pat

PS: I know, it's bad to do that ! - A good view from Oracle could be the solution !?

Patrice ( Supporting Troops ) - Autodesk Expert Elite
    If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 9 of 9
    dlalonde
    in reply to: phil_borycens

Thanks Phil. Sorry about complaining here, but both my bug and the one you bring up are pretty basic stuff and are yet another example of why serious ArcGIS guys like myself have a hard time making the jump. Hope to see a fix soon...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost