AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Selecting points from a point cloud

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
2496 Views, 4 Replies

Selecting points from a point cloud

Greetings,

I was wondering if there is a way to select specific 3D points out of a point cloud (.pcg).

I am new with Autocad and handling of point clouds so sorry if it is a silly question.

I can think of various things that you might want to do, as in clean up a bit the data or even delete some areas that you are not interested with.

Additionally, one might want to do some calculations, so selecting points first and the running a list script to use that points can be handy as well.

Thank you in advance

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi,

>> so sorry if it is a silly question

don't worry about that 😉

>> if there is a way to select specific 3D points out of a point cloud

No, at least I don't know a way if selecting or modifying the content (the points) of a pointcloud.

You can use the objectsnap to get exact positions for constructing based on these points, but that's it. I would also think that the time for rebuilding the indexed pointcloud-file (and these can hold a lot of points) would be much to slow to modify that in runtime.

May be there are some applications that can do that, but once more, imho AutoCAD itself can't.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 5
jporter
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Hate to bring an old topic up, but I'm getting a similar issue.  I know this dicussion was probably started with AutoCAD  2012 (based on the dates), but I'm getting issue when importing a point cloud into AutoCAD 2015.  If you have 2015 can you please verify something for me?  Here is my process:

1. I navigate to the Insert tab > Point Cloud panel > Attach
  2. Pick my point cloud (RCP or RCS files)
  3. Import the file (all looks fine)
  4. Try to draw a line from node to node (it doesn't find any nodes).

This issue is only happening with RCS or RCP files.  It does not happen with PCG files.  Please let me know if you get the same results.  

Thanks in advance for any light you can shine on this.

Jason Porter
ASTI Civil Solutions Technical Advisor
www.asti.com
Message 4 of 5
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: jporter

Hi,

there are special settings for snapping to cloud points in 2015 ... do that osnaps catch your cloud-points?

2014-08-30_01.png

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 5 of 5
jporter
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Alfred,

Sorry for the late response.  This issue was deeper than I had imagined.  However, we found the culprit.  First off, it always helps to make sure the user has the 3DOSNAP settings correct.  I guess I should never assume.  Well, once those were set the issue persisted. It turned out that the user had a third party, "free" downloaded software, that currupted the point file.  He was using this software to convert the points to be usable in AutoCAD.  Needless to say, I showed him how to do this in ReCap and the issue was resolved.  

Thanks for your input,

Jason Porter
ASTI Civil Solutions Technical Advisor
www.asti.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost