AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Select object based on object data

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
12383 Views, 13 Replies

Select object based on object data

Hi everyone.

I'm new to the AutoDesk Community.

First I want to thank everyone for helping me out.

ISSUE:

I have a bunch of polylines that has object data attached to them.

My question is, is there a way to select a polyline based on the information in the object data?

Let say I have a lot of polylines that is separated by parcel Identification numbers. Being that I am in a huge area, I want to be able to quick select the polyline with a specific Parcel Identification number. The Parcel identication number of the polyline is listed under the Object Data field in the property.

I hope I was able to fully explain my dilemma.

Thank you again for your time.

I hope to hear everyone's input.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Pointdump
in reply to: Anonymous

Here's a short-n-sweet video on the subject:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVHUyLfZmrc

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 3 of 14
Murph_Map
in reply to: Pointdump

@Pointdump wrote:

Here's a short-n-sweet video on the subject:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVHUyLfZmrc

Dave

The thing with that is the OP would need to convert it all to FDO data or SFD files. 

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 4 of 14
Murph_Map

There is no easy out of the box tool to do that but you can do it with lisp if you know how to program. I did it years ago but it is slow working, it has to seach every object in the dwg looking to see if the OD table is attached then if it is if the value is there that you are looking for. 

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 5 of 14
parkr4st
in reply to: Murph_Map

one way-

save the dwg

new dwg

attach the first in map Explorer

define query

add two items

Data:  xxxxOD.ParcleID = 123456

alter properties and select a color from values   i.e.     Color : 91

execute query and draw

the result should be all the plines with the queried parceID set to a color

you can save the dwg as a new dwg or save back to the original with ADESELOBJS   and ADESAVEOBJS  (Home panel; Data tab dropdown in Map3D 2015)

takes a bit of time but no coding

if you save back & open the original dwg you can use qselect to select the color which will select the parcels you want.

dave

Message 6 of 14
hence_the_name
in reply to: parkr4st

Hi,

here is another suggestions:

- display manager > add data > add drawing data
- select newly created element in display manager > query current drawing
- in dialog box : "data" via "object data" create a query for thefeature you are after
- close dialog box "ok"
- in display manager you will have a new "layer" - rigth click and add a style, then modify style in order to highlight the feature
- then manually select the highlighted feature

It's not straight forward but easier than dave's suggestion as you keep working in your drawing and don't need create a second one.

If you want to identify another fetaure you just select the "layer" object in display manager and choose "poperties" - you can edit the query there to search for a different feature.

map_query.png

http://raumpatrouille3d.blogspot.ch/
Message 7 of 14
braudpat

Hello from France - Hello @Katie_NelsonWQ82D 

Welcome to the Autodesk/AutoCAD Forums !

Please try the "Sel_by_OD" Lisp/VLisp routine :

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-map-3d-general/object-data-how-to-use-the-find-command/td-p/54...

My message :  12-16-2014 02:29 PM in reply to: Murph

which is very useful to select any entity with OD when you have to filter from an OD field value ...

NOTE: The result of the routine "Sel_by_OD" is a Selection Set ... Look at the properties dialog box ...

Load the "Sel_by_OD" routine with the "APPLOAD" command and then at keyboard: SEL_BY_OD <Enter>

Regards, Patrice (I am not an Autodesk Advisor) 

PS: New version 2.02 which corrects a bug with String OD field test "Different" !

Patrice ( Supporting Troops ) - Autodesk Expert Elite
If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous

Hi everyone.

Thank you so very very much for the overwhelming respond.

What a great community/forum this is.

Unfortunitely, I was too busy at work today to try everyone's solution. (I just tried one of the many solution) 

I will get on trying everyone's suggestions on Monday.

Thank you y'll.

Cheers,

John

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: braudpat

Genius!

Thank you!

Message 10 of 14
АлексЮстасу

This braudpat decision is certainly excellent. 🙂
There is another - the ODEDIT_EVAL_EXPR command from the ODEDIT plugin. Which has many other possibilities.
See in the App Store, here on the forum and on the odclass-odedit.com website.

-- Alexander, private person, pacifist, english only with translator 🙂 --

Object-modeling _ odclass-odedit.com _ Help

Message 11 of 14
ChicagoLooper

Map 3D can do this. The capability is already built in. If you have parcels or polygons with object data, then you can query your drawing using the OD. 

This video shows how you can use data to query parcels larger than 11,000 square feet. When the query is run, you can hatch them in red. The second query shows how to find a parcel using a PIN number and when found, it is outlined using the color magenta. The third query uses the individual PIN numbers to label each corresponding parcel.

All queries mentioned above were run using parcel object data. All drawing entities are AutoCAD, parcels are polygons, labels are text and there are only two layers, 0 and PARCELS. Although the Map Task Pane was used, there were no FDO connections. The Task Pane was merely used to execute the queries. The Display Tab in the Properties Palette was also used to control the style of the queried results.

The FIND command was used in the video too. Once all the parcels were labeled with its proper PIN number, the FIND command, by itself, was used to find a parcel. 

As you watch the video remember, no lisp, no code, no problem.

Chicagolooper
Message 12 of 14

Query is a powerful Map 3D feature. A lot more powerful than our "lisp."
We can also make spatial queries and other types of queries.
But Query only allows us to find and otherwise display what we found. But I don 't know how with Query we could not only find and display the right objects, but then change them?
Move, delete, change the color (not the sample color, but the graphics themselves), change the values in their OD, etc, etc.
This requires not Find, but Select.

-- Alexander, private person, pacifist, english only with translator 🙂 --

Object-modeling _ odclass-odedit.com _ Help

Message 13 of 14

exactly, as Alex says, here is the whole point of queries, that through "alter properties" in queries we cannot change the values ​​of the OD table fields or e.g. the block attributes, because there is no such functionality there 🙂

Message 14 of 14

Hello

On my message number 7, I have included a better version 2.02 of "Sel_By_OD" 

which corrects a bug with string OD field on the test "Different" !

Bye, Pat

Patrice ( Supporting Troops ) - Autodesk Expert Elite
If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost