AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

select attribute or object data values

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
coalprpmapper
1355 Views, 3 Replies

select attribute or object data values

I've just upgraded from Map 6 to Map 3D. In Map 6, I use Quick Select to search & select blocks based on values in block attributes, and to search & select objects based on values in object data fields. In Map 3D, Quick Select doesn't show any attributes or object data fields, so there's no way to select. This occurs on 3 different licenses of Map 3D, two with a "ToolPac" add-on, and one plain vanilla. I checked one AutoCAD LT 2005 seat, and its Quick Select doesn't show block attributes either. Has anyone else noticed this, and if so, do you have any work-around? The only thing I've been able to do is open a blank drawing and use the Query command to do the search and select.
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: coalprpmapper

Using the "Find" command with the zoom to option will allow you to select the blocks with attributtes value. In oder to have the quick select to work with OD values you have to use "Feature Classifications". Beware though feature classes can slow down the search. Murph "Don Soper" wrote in message news:10792497.1094134723559.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > I've just upgraded from Map 6 to Map 3D. In Map 6, I use Quick Select to search & select blocks based on values in block attributes, and to search & select objects based on values in object data fields. In Map 3D, Quick Select doesn't show any attributes or object data fields, so there's no way to select. This occurs on 3 different licenses of Map 3D, two with a "ToolPac" add-on, and one plain vanilla. I checked one AutoCAD LT 2005 seat, and its Quick Select doesn't show block attributes either. Has anyone else noticed this, and if so, do you have any work-around? The only thing I've been able to do is open a blank drawing and use the Query command to do the search and select.
Message 3 of 4

Already tried Find. Some of my block attributes are "invisible". Find won't zoom to invisible attributes or attributes/text on off/frozen layers.

Say there are 14 blocks named "AA" with invisible attribute "M" containing the value "xyxy". With Map 6, I'd quick select on all blocks AA, then narrow it down to look for attribute M = xyxy (or M wildcard match *xyx*). On OK, all 14 blocks would be SELECTed at once, allowing me to immediately do something with those 14 items (change color, layer, size, wblock etc). Find doesn't "select" anything, just zooms to the location of its current "found" item. I'd have to activate Find 14 times, to find all 14 instances of "xyxy", and that assumes that "xyxy" isn't in some other text item or attribute other than "M". Easier to open a new drawing and do a Query.

Any idea why Autodesk got rid of the quick select's ability to see block attributes and object data fields in the currently open drawing?
Message 4 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: coalprpmapper

My guess would be the changes had to do with the newer file format. I think the data for the ojbect data is stored different in 2004 and 2005 than the earlier versions. Murph "Don Soper" wrote in message news:10825804.1094236152301.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > Already tried Find. Some of my block attributes are "invisible". Find won't zoom to invisible attributes or attributes/text on off/frozen layers. > > Say there are 14 blocks named "AA" with invisible attribute "M" containing the value "xyxy". With Map 6, I'd quick select on all blocks AA, then narrow it down to look for attribute M = xyxy (or M wildcard match *xyx*). On OK, all 14 blocks would be SELECTed at once, allowing me to immediately do something with those 14 items (change color, layer, size, wblock etc). Find doesn't "select" anything, just zooms to the location of its current "found" item. I'd have to activate Find 14 times, to find all 14 instances of "xyxy", and that assumes that "xyxy" isn't in some other text item or attribute other than "M". Easier to open a new drawing and do a Query. > > Any idea why Autodesk got rid of the quick select's ability to see block attributes and object data fields in the currently open drawing?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost