AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SDF to SHP problems

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
dhoskings
467 Views, 4 Replies

SDF to SHP problems

I have tried the following with Civil 2011, Civil 2012, and Map 2012 with the same undesired results (all on Windows 7):

-I have an SDF file that was created by multiple feature overlay processess and have a resulting data file with just over 1100 polygons with about 15 attribute fields but need it converted to SHP data

-I do a mapimport of an SDF file but some of my data gets set to "0" instead of the values found in the original SDF file

-I try a bulk copy to an empty SHP connection folder and it looks to work but then when I compare the SHP table to the original SDF table I have more than twice the data (many of the polygons end up with multiple copies all in the same database)

-I try the Fdo2Fdo by sl-king and it gives me an "unable to find class" error

I really need to get a SHP data set that matches the original SDF data (including the table values) to send to a client that does not use SDF files.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Dave

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
tjmapper
in reply to: dhoskings

I usually do a map import to bring an SDF into a DWG along with all its Object Data.

Then I do a map export to a SHP file.

It has extra steps but it doesnt give many problems. Have you tried this method?

Message 3 of 5
dhoskings
in reply to: tjmapper

I have tried that but that where some of the OD data value become ''0" instead of the original values found in the SDF file.

Message 4 of 5
tjmapper
in reply to: dhoskings

That is weird. Never seen that myself.

You can try FDO Toolbox and see if it has a better result.

-I try a bulk copy to an empty SHP connection folder and it looks to work but then when I compare the SHP table to the original SDF table I have more than twice the data (many of the polygons end up with multiple copies all in the same database)

That sounds like it my have thrown an error once and then you corrected it and tried again. Sometimes it will still bulk copy parts of a file even if it does error.

Message 5 of 5
dhoskings
in reply to: tjmapper

Thanks for the suggestions but  nothing seems to work on that data set.  I am able to backtrack to before I overlayed all my data and convert those SDF files to SHP files...just have to do my feature overlays again with the new SHP file and make sure that I select SHP as my output.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost