AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SDF to Blocks with attributes

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
mrrgoncalves
1132 Views, 6 Replies

SDF to Blocks with attributes

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for a map tool that can convert feature data from an SDF file or SHP to autocad block's with attributes data. My client just want blocks with attributes and dont work with sdf or similares, they extract the attributes and then work them in other software, so, i wonder if there is a autocad map tool that make the conversion from feature data SDF to blocks with attributes, that will make the work mutch more easier and fast. 

Other question relational with blocks. How can we link block attributes and excell in real time, where i could change cells data in excell and the update happens in the open drawing and vice-versa?

And would like to know if there is a way to make this happen without vba tools or lisp's...just with map tools. 

Thank you,
Best regards, 
Mário

Best regards,

Mário Gonçalves
C3D2011
MAP3D2011
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Murph_Map
in reply to: mrrgoncalves

If you have predefined blocks with the attributtes already you ccan use the map import and select blocks and attributtes. The trouble is the blocks w/attributtes must be defined and the attribute tags must match the field names in the SDF/shp files.(including uppercase/lowercase) There is no Out Of The Box easy button for it.

For your second question, Excel is not a database and Map3D likes databases better than spreadsheets. However take a look at the DataExtaction tools that are part of the standard AutoCAD. There's a lot of users of AutoCAD that use that for part lists etc. A search in the AutoCAD groups may be worth a look at.

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 3 of 7
antoniovinci
in reply to: Murph_Map

Murph wrote:

the attribute tags must match the field names in the SDF/shp files.(including uppercase/lowercase)

It doesn't matter, working with different upper/lower case as well.

The block attributes will be fed automatically by the imported shape fields: only the match tag/field is relevant, even if their number is not equal.

Example A:

1. the block contains the "LASTname" and "FIRSTname" tags
  2. the shape contains the "lastNAME" field

only the "LASTname" attribute will get filled, while "FIRSTname" will stay empty.

Example B:

1. the block contains the "LASTname" and "FIRSTname" tags
  2. the shape contains the "lastNAME", "FiRsTnAmE" and "CITY" fields

both "LASTname" and "FIRSTname" attributes will get filled, while "CITY" will be obviously ignored.

I don't use blocks&attributes, Master, but you deserve a brilliant Kudo 'cause I learned something new.

Message 4 of 7
Murph_Map
in reply to: antoniovinci

The last time I used mapimport to create blocks from a shp it was case senitive.

OP,

Keep in mind only point type objects will convert to blocks, plines and polygon objects do not get converted.

Murph
Message 5 of 7
antoniovinci
in reply to: Murph_Map

Murph wrote:

plines and polygon objects do not get converted.

...unless you create nodes from lines, or centroids from polygons (I advise Qgis to do these operations).

About the case sensitivity, maybe is it release-dependent..?
In my Map2006, it works always as above said.

P.S.

Gentlemen, please pay attention at which hour Magic Murph posted: it was 6:27 am ET...

In other words, he awaked up and checked this forum out, even before cooking bacon&eggs: that's adhesion !!

Message 6 of 7
mrrgoncalves

It perfectly works!!!

Already have block attributes respecting case sensitive, and it works fine, thats exactly what im looking for.

A big THANK YOU for you both!

br,
Mário

Best regards,

Mário Gonçalves
C3D2011
MAP3D2011
Message 7 of 7
Murph_Map

@antoniovinci wrote:

P.S.

Gentlemen, please pay attention at which hour Magic Murph posted: it was 6:27 am ET...

In other words, he awaked up and checked this forum out, even before cooking bacon&eggs: that's adhesion !!

More like 5:27 AM

posttime.png

Murph

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost