AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SDF File Information - Create points with custom information

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
dbbykerk
774 Views, 4 Replies

SDF File Information - Create points with custom information

Here is the general task i am wanting to accomplish. To start, thank you for the help in advance.

I am a AutoCad drafter for telecommunications and I have utility pole points (long/lats)

I can insert the poles via long/lat and all is great, my issue is I would like more information in those points.

For example, pole number, class, HOA, Make Ready...

Currently I create a survey data store and import ASCII Points using PNE(comma delimited)

So with my Excel file (this is where I get my pole information from) I get a point/northing/easting to enter into the formatting section.

I would like to add more information to these individual points, like ploe number, class, HOA...

If I view the point table I see that there are a lot of other columns, can I use them or customize them? is there a quick tutorial on this issue?

I hope I have explained this well, I can also create a sample file if needed.

Thank you for the help.

David Bykerk

Cad Drafter

EA Tech

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
antoniovinci
in reply to: dbbykerk

Great question, sir. I'd do as follows: 

1. in Autocad, making _MAPEXPORT of your points to a shape file
  2. close Autocad
  3. adding the other fields (class, HOA, Make Ready, and so on) with a shape editor like "Mapwindow GIS"
  4. close the shape editor
  5. populating the new empty columns of the shapeset's .DBF file by means of Excel
  6. close Excel
  7. in Autocad, making _MAPIMPORT of this populated shape file.
Message 3 of 5
Murph_Map
in reply to: antoniovinci

@antoniovinci wrote:

Great question, sir. I'd do as follows: 

1. in Autocad, making _MAPEXPORT of your points to a shape file
  2. close Autocad
  3. adding the other fields (class, HOA, Make Ready, and so on) with a shape editor like "Mapwindow GIS"
  4. close the shape editor
  5. populating the new empty columns of the shapeset's .DBF file by means of Excel
  6. close Excel
  7. in Autocad, making _MAPIMPORT of this populated shape file.

ONLY if they are stili using version 2006 or less. With newer versions there is no need to do that.

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 4 of 5
Murph_Map
in reply to: dbbykerk

@dbbykerk wrote:

Here is the general task i am wanting to accomplish. To start, thank you for the help in advance.

I am a AutoCad drafter for telecommunications and I have utility pole points (long/lats)

I can insert the poles via long/lat and all is great, my issue is I would like more information in those points.

For example, pole number, class, HOA, Make Ready...

Currently I create a survey data store and import ASCII Points using PNE(comma delimited)

With that data store you cn save that displat layer to sdf format with its own name (which the data store is BTW) then open the sdf schemea and add more properties/fields as needed.

In the Map task pane, map explorer tab, select your sdf layer then click on the schema icon and edit. Expand the tree on the left then click on New Property, provide a name for that field/column and the type should be data, string length as needed.

schemaEdit.png

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 5 of 5
dbbykerk
in reply to: Murph_Map

Thanks for the great replies, FYI, I am using CadMaps 2011, I will try out the solution shortly and respond with a solved or unsolved response.

Thanks Again

Smiley Very Happy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost