AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Saving FDO layers into a DWG only works in the same PC

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
agmartin
454 Views, 2 Replies

Saving FDO layers into a DWG only works in the same PC

Hi,

We (Our company) recently bought  9 AutoCAD Map 3D 2014 Network Licenses. Our idea is to work with a PostGIS Database where all the data will be stored, getting rid of DWG drawings.

The thing is that we don't want the users to be able to add postgis tables to the workspace, because they could add tables that we don't want them to dit. So the idea is to create DWGs with the FDO layers we want for each user. So the steps would be:

- Link the 3 postgis tables we want via FDO in the workspace.

- Save that as DWG.

- The next time i open that DWG in my PC everything is fine.

The problem is that if i put that DWG in the local network or i copy it to another user's desktop, the user opens it, there are only errors and the layers won't load.

So my conclussion is that a DWG with FDO layers only can be openned in the same PC where it was saved.

Is that correct or am i doing something wrong?

Is there another solution for my approach?

Regars,

Tags (3)
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: agmartin

Hi,

>> copy it to another user's desktop, the user opens it, there are only errors

And the errors are ...???

One basic question for now: did you login with the same Windows user account on the "other desktop" or is that another user with other permissions on your network and your database?

And I would not need a DWG with connected datasources, I would create connections, a basic stylization and save that as .LAYER, then in a new project just drag&drop the .LAYER files into your drawing and the connection is done. Independent from any drawing and so that works also with existing drawings 😉

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 3
agmartin
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi Alfred,

Thanks for your reply.

The other user is logged in with another user in another desktop.

Ill take into account your idea.

Regards,

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost