AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Raster Transparency

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
tcelina
449 Views, 14 Replies

Raster Transparency

I have inserted a raster (attached, as small as possible) and want to get the white background transparent so that I can place the outline over another background.

I have read all the help files I can find and it just doesn't want to work for me. I have tried in both 2004 and 2006 without success. Can anyone help?

In the properties window under "Misc" I have set transparency to "yes", but it doesn't seem to know what color I want to be transparent. Under properties ->"general" I can change the color which only alters the framing boundary box, not the entire white background which (from the help files) sounds like it should.

Any suggestions are very much appreciated!!
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
jatkiss
in reply to: tcelina

I think you should try reading the Help file, looking in particular for "transparency, changing transparent color"
Message 3 of 15
tcelina

I did. And it didn't help. Which is why I posted here and included the raster I am trying to attach so that someone could have a look and try to help me.

If you have downloaded the attached raster and followed to procedure in that help file and succeeded in making the background color transparent I would like to hear about it. Otherwise, that was not a particularly helpful post.
Message 4 of 15
Anonymous

Your image appears to be a non-bitonal image. Look up bitonal images in help
for some pointers.

Murph

wrote in message news:5349781@discussion.autodesk.com...
I have inserted a raster (attached, as small as possible) and want to get
the white background transparent so that I can place the outline over
another background.

I have read all the help files I can find and it just doesn't want to work
for me. I have tried in both 2004 and 2006 without success. Can anyone
help?

In the properties window under "Misc" I have set transparency to "yes", but
it doesn't seem to know what color I want to be transparent. Under
properties ->"genera
l" I can change the color which only alters the framing boundary box, not
the entire white background which (from the help files) sounds like it
should.

Any suggestions are very much appreciated!!
Message 5 of 15
tcelina

This is what the help file says:

----------------------------

To change the color that is transparent in a graysale or color image
Zoom in close to the image so that you can accurately select the color.
Click the image frame.
Right-click the image. Click Properties.
In the Properties palette, select Transparency Color.
Click [?] to display the Transparency Color dialog box.
Click Select and pick the desired color on the image. Click OK.
To turn on transparency, select Transparency in the Properties palette and set it to Yes.

-----------------------------------

I have actually already read the help files, just as I originally said I had, and have found that this procedure does not work. Again, if anyone has attempted this procedure using the raster I have attached and has succeeded in making the background color transparent, I would like to know how they managed it!

Thank you.
Message 6 of 15
jatkiss

The process does indeed work.

The problem in your case, is that your image, contains more than just black & white. It contains varying levels of grey. This is why you are unable satisfactorily to set the white portion of your image to be transparent.
I tried it myself by downloading your image, inserting it into a drawing, and following the procedures outlined above.
Message 7 of 15
tcelina

So you are saying that I cannot make this image transparent?
Message 8 of 15
jatkiss

with the current image you have at the moment, yes.

you would need to use some imaging software to convert the image into a bi-tonal (2 colours, usually black & white) image; before you could use transparency on it within autocad.

also, autocad does not support the use of bi-tonal jpg images. you would also need to convert it into either a png or tif file Message was edited by: Norts
Message 9 of 15
tcelina

My original image is not a jpg, I had to convert it to upload to this forum because it was too large.

Nonetheless, the help file I quoted expicitly says the process is for "grayscale and color" images. A separate procedure exists for bitonal images. Is not this image grayscale?

If it isn't possible I don't mind giving up, but I think the help file is misleading in that case, and suggests that you can select any color in an image to make those pixels transparent.
Message 10 of 15
jatkiss

In some ways the help file could be miscontrued.
If you read it carefully however, the key is in 'BI-TONAL. This means 2 colours, regardless of whether that is black & white, or blue & yellow, etc.
Message 11 of 15
Udo_Huebner

Normal AutoCAD can only show Trancparence on Bitonal Images or PNG Files (256 colors) with predefined (outside AutoCAD) Trancparency Color.
ATTENTION: Only If MAP Rasterextension is loaded (start an Map Images Command for Example MAPIINSERT)
you get additional Properties for Trancparency in Properties pallette.
Now yo can select an Color in the picture to swith to transparent view.
Works fine for me with MAP 2006 und 2007 using your example image.
BTW Convert the example image to a bitonal image if you only have colors black and white.

Udo Huebner
Gruß Udo Hübner (CAD-Huebner)
Message 12 of 15
tcelina

Udo Huebner

Thank you so much for your response! After using the mapiinsert command (in 2006) I now have open the dialog box where I can select the color in my image to be transparent. Although I have now selected the white background color to be transparent, nothing seems to change.

"The transparency color" box in the properties window is empty (no little sample color swatch as in the "general color" box), and when the change color dialog box opens the color in the window remains black regardless of where I click on the image.

I am attaching a screen dump. Would really appreciate your thoughts!

Celina
Message 13 of 15
Udo_Huebner

Did you allready installed SP1 for MAP 3D 2006
see also
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/item?siteID=123112&id=6057484&linkID=2786831
Gruß Udo Hübner (CAD-Huebner)
Message 14 of 15
tcelina

THAT IS AMAZING

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Message 15 of 15
Jtiwari91

Since you have attached the file. i would suggest you to clip its boundaries if nothing else work. just create a polyline along the boundary and select it while clipping

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost