AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Raster images appearing in viewport

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
otismoon
3220 Views, 7 Replies

Raster images appearing in viewport

I'm running Map 2013 64bit. On almost all my DWGs I use a raster image inserted using the task pane -> display manager-> connect data -> raster image to insert the DOQQ raster image at the proper location and coord system. All that works fine. I use several layouts each with a single viewport. In some of the layouts I would like to turn the raster image off but have it display in the layouts of the other pages. In older versions, I was able to put the image on it's own layer and just turn it off (freeze) in the viewport to control what layout showed the image. I've upgraded to Map 13 and now I freezing the layer in the viewport wont turn off the raster image in that viewport. It still prints! I would like to PDF/plot all the layouts at once but since I can't control the image in the layout I now have turn off the image in the display manager and PDF/plot the layouts separately. It's a pain! And like many other things, used to work just fine in older version.

Am I missing something? Is there a new way of controlling raster images in viewports?

Anything would help, thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
lorrie.bundy
in reply to: otismoon

I am having same issue. No solution since 2012???

Message 3 of 8
parkr4st
in reply to: lorrie.bundy

MAPNEWMAP  and name a new map.  Then change between maps at top of task pane.   Set each map layer in display manager visible or not visible for the different maps.  Switch between the maps in layout to print w/wo the photo.

dave

Message 4 of 8
lorrie.bundy
in reply to: parkr4st

Thank you for the suggestion. This isn't working for me.

I have two viewports in one layout: Plan and Profile.

The raster image is county wide sid file.

How can I keep the sid file visible in the Plan viewport, but not visible in the Profile viewport?

The sid file was added using dataconnect, Add raster image.

The properties of the image when selected  show entity type:"ACMAPGISGRIDSURFACEENTITY". The display tab in properties shows "The appearance of this object is not controlled by the display system".

AutoCAD Civil 3d 2012.

Message 5 of 8
Valentin-WSP
in reply to: lorrie.bundy

Remember that Display Manager layers are different from the classic “AutoCAD layers” you see in the Layer Properties Manager.
Note: AutoCAD users cannot see Display Manager layers unless they use AutoCAD Map 3D.

A solution for this would be to use the "Maps" icon within the Task Pane and "Save as AutoCAD drawing..." - example: RASTER.dwg
Before you save, make sure you have the desired style for the Raster - "Full Color or GreyScale".

Once you save the file, you will have the ability to apply the raster image to any "AutoCAD layers" - allowing you to turn it on/off within different viewports, in addition to using the file as a reference.

If you use the Map Task Pane "MAPWSPACE" you could only turn the Raster off by using the "Display Manager", which will apply to all viewports. It will also NOT show the raster if the file is referenced.

Please select the "Accept as Solution" button if my post solves your issue or answers your question.

Emilio Valentin
Message 6 of 8
justinscholz5174
in reply to: otismoon

I had this same problem, the save as autocad solution is not acceptable if the images are of high quality.  A better workflow is as follows:

Use MAPNEWMAP as previously stated, name display as desired, this will create a new display map with no layers.  In Paperspace, select the viewport you do not want your raster to display in, Layout Tools Ribbon, Map Viewport panel, select display maps and choose the newly crated display name.  The selected viewport will now be using the display style you created that contains no layers.  

Message 7 of 8

Yes, justinscholz5174. parkr4st posted this workflow a while ago and I started using it. Definitely the best solution since it mimics layer control using map tools. The hardest part was figuring out how to create a new map and selecting the viewport to define which  map to assign. The steps you outline are very helpful. Maybe the original poster can show this as "solution". Thank you for posting.

Message 8 of 8

This is easily resolved. It's not as hard as you think.

1. Go to  layout tab (paper space), then go to the LAYOUT TOOLS tab (don't confuse with the LAYOUT tab in the ribbon, that one is different).
  2. Then at MAP VIEWPORT panel, click Display Maps icon and you'll get a dropdown.
  3. Select DEFAULT. Your cursor will turn into a square.
  4. With the square, click on edge of the viewport (or if you have multiple viewports in your layout, select a single viewport).
  5. If you wish to confirm, hover over the same VP and you'll see 'Default' in upper right corner of the VP. 
  6. Click on the VP so that you can see the VP grips.
  7. Go to MAP VIEWPORT PANEL, select Layer Visibility icon and you'll get a dropdown.
  8. The dropdown will show the same layers as the MAP TASK PANE. You can control the visibility of the layers from this dropdown by clicking a layer's light bulb.  

Notes:

This does not affect the visibility of 'Layers' in model space. Nor does it affect the visibility of layers in other layouts. Even if you have more than one VP on the same layout, say a wide area map showing a city and a zoomed in map showing a building and parking lot detail, the action you performed only affects that single VP. You may also do this to other VPs in the same .dwg and change the visibility of layers as you go and give each viewport a customized appearance.  

Chicagolooper

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost