AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Raster Image Transparency

13 REPLIES 13
Message 1 of 14
douglawson3952
1185 Views, 13 Replies

Raster Image Transparency

How can I make a raster image transparent? I would like to see image #2 below image #1 by making image #1 semi-tranparent. I can make one specific color in the image transparent but to me that is as worthless as... you know what. Right now I am working from a scanned image in jpeg format. I would think it should be easy because any Microsoft Office program can do it. I have searched through multiple Autodesk discussion boards to no avail. Thanks, Doug
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: douglawson3952

For color images you can't you can only adjust the
brightness and contrast.

style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
How
can I make a raster image transparent? I would like to see image #2 below
image #1 by making image #1 semi-tranparent. I can make one specific color in
the image transparent but to me that is as worthless as... you know what.
Right now I am working from a scanned image in jpeg format. I would think it
should be easy because any Microsoft Office program can do it. I have searched
through multiple Autodesk discussion boards to no avail. Thanks,
Doug
Message 3 of 14
cjneper

Contrary to what Murph replied, I do this all the time with our color images.
Connect to the image through FDO
Then export it as a .layer file
Open the .layer file in notepad and edit as follows
Add the Opacity line where shown, adjusting the value to suit your preferences. I use 0.6 for most applications.
Then save and load the layer file

<FeatureName>rasters:Name</FeatureName>
<Opacity>0.6</Opacity>
<Geometry>Image</Geometry>

This works well with 2009's MAPPLOTTRANSPARENCY command to create transparent image plots too.
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous

OK OK, I forgot that trick.
🙂

style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
Contrary
to what Murph replied, I do this all the time with our color images.

Connect to the image through FDO
Then export it as a .layer file

Open the .layer file in notepad and edit as follows
Add the Opacity
line where shown, adjusting the value to suit your preferences. I use 0.6 for
most applications.
Then save and load the layer file

<FeatureName>rasters:Name</FeatureName>
<Opacity>0.6</Opacity>
<Geometry>Image</Geometry>

This works well with 2009's MAPPLOTTRANSPARENCY command to create
transparent image plots too.
Message 5 of 14
cjneper

"Trick" is the key word.
It shouldn't be this hard.
And its obviously not documented anywhere.
Message 6 of 14

I agree, it shouldn't be that hard to do, but I was able to accomplish my main goal which was to make the image transparent. Now for a really dumb question... How can I move, rotate, and scale the image I just made transparent? I am not accustomed to working with a Map 3D layer yet.
Message 7 of 14
cjneper

FDO doesn't treat the images as Autocad entities like Map -Image -Insert does, so its pretty much just a backdrop.
You'll need something else to manipulate the image. I have Raster Design, so I create the image where I want it before bringing it in through FDO for the transparency.

Message 8 of 14
mdrabic

Are you guys having problems printing them out once you make them transparent? I had no luck with making FDO polygons transparent but i can at least get the drawing to print if i set the image to transparent....although it is taking about an hour and 20 minutes to render each plot. The drawing size is around 3M with 2 16M sid images. The images plot in 2 seconds without the transparency trick.

Marty
Message 9 of 14

I have not tryed to plot mine yet. I am still trying to get the image in the right place before I make it transparent. One of the reasons I wanted it semi-transparent was to help align and scale it with other objects in my drawing such as road centerlines and other maps. I will let you know how mine plots when I get to that point. The image transparency definately needs to be put on the autodesk wish list instead of having to do all these work-arounds/tricks. Don't you agree? -Doug
Message 10 of 14
mdrabic

I agree whole heartedly. I just want to the features as advertised to work....you promote this stuff and then you try and show it off and it just doesn't work. They need to open up the beta groups to more of us IMHO and get this stuff straightened out before it goes public. I think that its transparency in general that's the problem.

Marty
Message 11 of 14
Anonymous

I
agree whole heartedly. I just want to the features as advertised to
work....you promote this stuff and then you try and show it off and it just
doesn't work. They need to open up the beta groups to more of us IMHO and get
this stuff straightened out before it goes public. I think that its
transparency in general that's the problem. Marty
Message 12 of 14
mdrabic

I did...just haven't gotten an email to join for Map 3D beta yet....
Message 13 of 14
Anonymous

A couple of pointers to help anyone that wants to
be considered. One make sure you fill in all the information on the profile
page, list as much info as allowed on your duties and how you use the products,
make sure you select the correct product you use, (if you select Acad R2006,
don't expect to get selected for Map3D.) Last may sure the email address you
provide is your work email and not a free email service like
href="mailto:JohnHammer@yahoo.com">JohnHammer@yahoo.com

I
did...just haven't gotten an email to join for Map 3D beta
yet....
Message 14 of 14
Moreveggies
in reply to: cjneper

I used to do this very easily in Autocad LDD  2007, but I did have Raster Design installed. I can't say I remember exactly how I did it, but it was quite easy, I think clicking a change in properties. Years later, after long siesta from Autocad use, I am struggling to see how to do same in MAp3d 2014. It probably is documented somewhere, but how to find that is another trick. I spent 2 hours or more trying to figure out how to change coordinate system of an image. In the end it was quite easy, so glad I finally figured it out!!!!! But it was totally different than process I used to go through.

currently working with water system asset inventory mapping and geodatabase design
using Autocad Map 3d 2014 on Windows 7
using ESRI ArcGIS 10.1 on Windows 7
using ArcGIS 10.2 on Windows 8.1

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost