AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Relative" Data Connections to SHP files and Databases

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
jchensley
450 Views, 3 Replies

"Relative" Data Connections to SHP files and Databases

Is it possible to create a "relative" connection to databases and SHP files in Map 3D, similar to the ability to create a relative external reference to a Civil 3D drawing file? 

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
antoniovinci
in reply to: jchensley

Did you just try the _MAPCONNECT command..?

Message 3 of 4
jchensley
in reply to: antoniovinci

Yes, I used the MAPCONNECT command. I am able to connect to the data no problem. I think you are misunderstanding my question.

The issue I'm having is that multiple users access this data and work remotely. Most of the time, it is more efficient for them to download the data from our server to their hard drive and then upload them back to our server at the end of the day. The MAPCONNECT command appears to use the "full path" to find the data, such as this:

S:\Project_Files\Example_Project\Drawings\GIS_Data

When they open a drawing file that is connected to GIS data, all of the connections are broken because the filepath has changed. If a "relative path" could be used, it would look like this:

.\GIS_Data

Instead of looking for the GIS data on our server, AutoCAD would look for the folder titled "GIS Data" within the directory of the drawing file they opened. No more problems with broken data connections.

This is the way XREFS (External References) work in AutoCAD. Type the command "XR" to see what I'm talking about if you are not familiar with how xrefs work.

Instead
Message 4 of 4
antoniovinci
in reply to: jchensley

Well, it was a true challenge, but... uncompress the attachment where you want.

Sounds like the DWG format isn't able to store a relative FDO path, while the DXF does...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost