AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

quering ESRI shape file with countour data freezes MAP 3D

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
kirill.zavalko
402 Views, 3 Replies

quering ESRI shape file with countour data freezes MAP 3D

I am having troubles with the following scenario:

I have contour line files that are in ESRI shp format (CanVec - dowloaded from geogratis.ca) and need to create a surface from it in Civil 3D + I need the contour lines to be at their correct elevation.

Steps that I have taken In Map 3D 2015:

1. Start a brand new drawing

2. Assign this drawing the same coordinate system that the contour data comes in (in my case it is LL-CSRS) - righ-clicking on "Current drawing" in the map explorer and selecting "Coordinate system" - "OK"

3. Use MAPIMPORT and navigated to countour line shape file,

4. Assigne object data by clicking inside the cell under "Data" - "Create object data" - "OK"

5. Selecte "Import polygons as closed polylines" 

6. Zoom extents, save and close this file

7. Start a brand new drawing in which I will be actually working

8. Assign the UTM84-20N coord. system to it (as in #2)

9. Attach the previously saved countour data file (in LL-CSRS coord. system) - in the "Map explorer" tab rigth clicking on "Drawings" - "Attach"

10. Right click on "Current Query" - "Define"

11. Set "Location" to "All"

When I try to Execute query with "Preview" Map 3D freezes with the command ADEQUERY in the command line.

The same happenes when i select "Alter Properties", bring in "Elevation" data, select "Expression" button, expand the "Object data", select "Elevation" data from object data table - "Add", and "Draw" - "Execute Query"

When I try to open the saved contour data dwg, I get the following message: "File is locked by AutoCAD Map or an earlier version of AutoCAD. Access to the file is denied."

Any ideas? 

Kirill

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Murph_Map
in reply to: kirill.zavalko

@kirill.zavalko wrote:

I am having troubles with the following scenario:

I have contour line files that are in ESRI shp format (CanVec - dowloaded from geogratis.ca) and need to create a surface from it in Civil 3D + I need the contour lines to be at their correct elevation.

Any ideas? 

Kirill

Skip the Map stuff and use Surface from GIS Data in Civil 3D. 

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 3 of 4
kirill.zavalko
in reply to: Murph_Map

Thank you Murph, it worked this way.

However, is there an explanation why the query doesn't work on those shapefiles? It works perfectly fine when, for example, I query in geotiffs that are in a different CS. 

Kirill

Message 4 of 4
Murph_Map
in reply to: kirill.zavalko

If it's a large dwg it takes a while to query it all. You might need to clean out the map cache to free up some space. Delete everything in the Users/Temp folder. 

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost