AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem Creating Join in 08

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
326 Views, 8 Replies

Problem Creating Join in 08

Is anyone else having problems with the Create a Join function in Autocad Map 3D 08? I was attempting to Join FDO to an ODBC connected table from Access and it performed the operation but when I opened the FDO table to view the results, the fields for the joined information were all Null except for just a few. I thought at first I was doing something wrong, but then I went through the tutorial and after basically repeating everything I had previously done with the tutorial data, I got very similar results. The program appears to be making the join but the information is not showing up. I looked at both tables. The tutorial specifies to join based on the APN number field.. No good. All the Owner names and everything are Null. Has anyone seen this?

Thanks,
Sam
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Can you post/email me both of the files?
The only thing I can think of is the field types might not match, but it
still should display the values on the joined fields.
Are you doing a one to many join or anything different from the tutorial?

--

Murph
The world is not FLAT so why is your GIS data?
http://map3d.wordpress.com
wrote in message news:5783809@discussion.autodesk.com...
Is anyone else having problems with the Create a Join function in Autocad
Map 3D 08? I was attempting to Join FDO to an ODBC connected table from
Access and it performed the operation but when I opened the FDO table to
view the results, the fields for the joined information were all Null except
for just a few. I thought at first I was doing something wrong, but then I
went through the tutorial and after basically repeating everything I had
previously done with the tutorial data, I got very similar results. The
program appears to be making the join but the information is not showing up.
I looked at both tables. The tutorial specifies to join based on the APN
number field.. No good. All the Owner names and everything are Null. Has
anyone seen this?

Thanks,
Sam
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous

Thanks for your time Murph. Here is a database with information on many properties I'm dealing with. Also, in the zip file is a SDF containing polygons with a TRACT_NO attached to the majority of them. That tract number is the join key I'm attempting to use. It's listed in the Access file as "text" and when I created the object data in Map, I classified it as a "string". I did attempt a 'one-to-one' join. Any help would be appreciated.

Sam
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous

Murph, I'm sorry, here is a shapefile which also containes the polygons and associated tract number. I just attempted the join with this shape and the Access file I posted a minute ago, and the first tract on the list actually showed successfully joined information, but that's only one tract out of around 500. I don't know why the join stopped working after that first tract. I certainly would like to figure out what I'm doing wrong, because I see a lot of potential in Map that ESRI doesn't offer (for free). Again, thank you so much. I look forward to hearing what you think.

Sam
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous

Looks like a bad database file, I try a join in ERSI 9.1 and it gave the
same results, with only one record being joined (same record in MAP 3D&
ESRI)

--

Murph
The world is not FLAT so why is your GIS data?
http://map3d.wordpress.com
wrote in message news:5784563@discussion.autodesk.com...
Murph, I'm sorry, here is a shapefile which also containes the polygons and
associated tract number. I just attempted the join with this shape and the
Access file I posted a minute ago, and the first tract on the list actually
showed successfully joined information, but that's only one tract out of
around 500. I don't know why the join stopped working after that first
tract. I certainly would like to figure out what I'm doing wrong, because I
see a lot of potential in Map that ESRI do
esn't offer (for free). Again, thank you so much. I look forward to
hearing what you think.

Sam
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous

Out of curiosity, did you run through that Map tutorial and get the same results? I went through the tutorial once more and noticed that many of the entries were joined, however, at some point the data seemed to 'stick' and the word "little" was sub'd into the 'owner name' field for the remainder of the potential joins. If it's a version problem in Access or something, I guess I have to deal with it. We have version 2002 and I don't know what versions are available since then. I will create a new table in a blank database, and create new polygons with a join-key to that database. If that will run successfully, I suppose you are right. Thank you.

I didn't think about trying the join in Arc. Maybe I'll take some data I've joined successfully in Arc and try it out in ACAD. I'm pretty new to databases, but I'm also kind of consumed by it all now. Lately all of my spare time is going into learning what I can about databases and tying them to drawing entities. Sadly, I don't even know what end I'll reach, but I've found several ways to report valuable information for a job and create exhibits to relate it to project team.. Anyway, have a great weekend.

Sam
Message 7 of 9
mitchellhastings1484

hi
i'm having an identical problem any solutions found??
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous

Hello,

Just in case you haven't solved the "join" issue, try designating your key column that you are performing the join on, as an actual "key field" within MS Access first. Save the table, then retry the join. Hopefully that works.

Cheers,
Jason Hill
Ideate Support
Message 9 of 9
TimJones2137

I am having this issue as well.

In response to:

"try designating your key column that you are performing the join on, as an actual "key field" within MS Access first. Save the table, then retry the join. Hopefully that works."

This does not work out so well for a 1 to many join because access will not allow duplicates for primary keys.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost