AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plotting feature lines in black and white and not color in Map3D 2014

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
lissaucad
2082 Views, 5 Replies

Plotting feature lines in black and white and not color in Map3D 2014

I'm new to Map 3D and not to Civil 3D.  I connected to a roads and streams shp file from a ArcGIS directory.  Everything came in great and I even was able to get everything named all at once from the attibute directory.  The problem is that the features seem to only plot in the colors that I see them as.  If I change them all to black, then I see can't see them at all.  I have been spening the past 3 hours trying to get them to jus plot black.  We also have to stick with stb plot styles in our department.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: lissaucad

Hi,

>> The problem is that the features seem to only plot in the colors that I see them as

Those colors are truecolors by default, but CTB/STB-files only work with AutoCAD colorindex (colors from 1 to 255).

So the colors you select in the style-dialog should be the colors to be used for plot.

>> If I change them all to black, then I see can't see them at all

Change your AutoCAD background color to white and all is ok (command _OPTIONS, tab "Display", button "Colors") ... at least for the layout.

>> We also have to stick with stb plot styles in our department.

You can, but only for AutoCAD geometry, not for the MapFeature-objects.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 6
phil_borycens

Welcome to the club! 😉

Yes, as Alfred brought out, CTB/STB files only control standard AutoCAD objects; GIS data connections are unaffected by plot style tables. GIS connection styles are controlled in the Style Editor for the FDO-connected layer.

An option for you is to MAPIMPORT your GIS data so that the map features become standard AutoCAD objects. You can import them with their attributes in tact (it's an option in the Import wizard), but you'll lose the 'live' connection to GIS.

Phil Borycens
Message 4 of 6
Murph_Map

@lissaucad wrote:

I'm new to Map 3D and not to Civil 3D.  I connected to a roads and streams shp file from a ArcGIS directory.  Everything came in great and I even was able to get everything named all at once from the attibute directory.  The problem is that the features seem to only plot in the colors that I see them as.  If I change them all to black, then I see can't see them at all.  I have been spening the past 3 hours trying to get them to jus plot black.  We also have to stick with stb plot styles in our department.

One option is change your background color to white, use the options command and on the display tab. I always set my background color in modle space to white when I know I'm creating a map to plot out. It gives me the WYSIWYG for my project.

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 5 of 6
ceethreedee.com
in reply to: Murph_Map

Who the hell uses autocad with their background set to white? awful for your eyes...

Additionally why not a toggle for autocad map objects to take advantage of ctbs?

Autocad map sucks... 😞

Civil 3D 2021 (Update 1), ACAD (SP1.3) MAP (HF0.4)
Infraworks 2021.1,
Win 10 -DELL Precision Notebook 7730

ceethreedee.com
Message 6 of 6

Hi,

>> Who the hell uses autocad with their background set to white? awful for your eyes...

Your Excel as well as your Word as well as your Outlook, Adobe Reader, ... I'm sure you have all set to black background 😉

>> Additionally why not a toggle for autocad map objects to take advantage of ctbs?

Thematic mapping with just 256 colors is hard and is nothing you use nowadays, not in Map 3D and also not in other GIS-systems.

>> Autocad map sucks

If a discussion about white background makes a product that bad for you then take an alternative ... 😉

(and let me know which one works with CTB/STB or any similar technology, just out of curiosity)

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
(not an Autodesk consultant)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost