AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Placement of Google Earth Pro images in Map 3D 2015

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
tnelson1
4118 Views, 11 Replies

Placement of Google Earth Pro images in Map 3D 2015

I thought that I used to be able to bring google earth pro imagery into Map3D with proper placement. I talked my new company into upgrading from ACAD LT so that we could do that and much more as far as import/export of data from the projected dwgs. Now I am having to scramble because I am back to the save an image place, scale, position, scale, ... not what I had hoped for in making a first impression to the boss. I know that CIVIL has this built in, but is lacking features we use in MAP, so what gives with the interaction ? There is no way that I can justify another 5K for CIVIL just to view imagery but we use Map, Google Earth Pro and our surveyor's data regularly to move between other geologic mapping apps. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Stay safe.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
tnelson1
in reply to: tnelson1

I did find the Plex.Earth 3 module but it has limitations in how it brings data in for what I can see on the 14 day evaluation version. Not looking forward to shelling out a few hundred every year either to view it. I know others have come across this and would appreciate some suggestions from the current power users. I used to classify myself in that class in the 80's when by learning the commandswith one on one training with known expert Tom Berghauser. I then assisted in teaching Release 1.3 across our company. Yup before the 12x12 digitizer board...Dang I am old but it sure did beat the manual drafting days of leroy sets and vellum. Time has flown.

Stay safe,

Message 3 of 12
braudpat

Hello from France

Welcome to the Autodesk/AutoCAD Forums !

You said that CIVIL 201X is missing some features compared to MAP 201X !?

Please which features because except TopoBase Models : Water, Sewer, Electricity , etc, I don't follow you !

All people that I know who use PlexEarth are happy !?  So what is bad in PlexEarth ?

Thks in advance ...

Patrice ( Supporting Troops ) - Autodesk Expert Elite
If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 4 of 12
tnelson1
in reply to: braudpat

I was mistaken , finding out that Civil has Map within it.  Thanks for the reply. 

Message 5 of 12
tnelson1

Only issue with plex.earth is annual cost of the product, Map could be using the same code as Civil to place imagery, I would think.

We are a small company and have drillers and others in the field who can access the google earth to view and annotate the imagery, some of it being shot once a month. I am trying to bring the 2 together to prevent duplication of efforts. I proved up the Map product by exporting the shp files and placing them in GEP but have this issue.

Stay safe.

Message 6 of 12
Murph_Map

AutoCAD MAP3D and Civil use Bing maps in 2015 instead of the GE images. They also plot and are saved to the dwg provided you have a connection to the internet when you open the dwg back up.  It uses AutoCAD 360 and requires you to have an account there. Hint**** Use your same account name and password there as you do for the forums here. 

To use it or get the images follow these steps.

1. Assign a coordinate system to your dwg.  ( _MAPCSASSIGN command)

2. have an object in the dwg that is located in that coordinate range (Mapimport a ESRI shp file if you need too) 

3. Use the "GEOMAP" command

4. It will ask if you want to use Live Maps, click yes.

5. If you are not signed on to AutoCAD360 it will ask you to log in or create an account. 

6. After it logs you in select the option for the type of map, roads, aerials,  hybrid or off. 

7. You can use the geomap command afterwards to toggle you image between the opions.

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 7 of 12
tnelson1
in reply to: Murph_Map

Thanks for the info. I wish I had the option to use the bing but a lot of hours have been placed in the google earth product.
Stay safe.

Sent from my iPhone
Message 8 of 12
tnelson1

morning Murph thanks for your support of our troops,

Tried to run the command that you listed , and even with logging onto 360 I am not able  to select any imagery or Live Maps. I get the opportunity to select map type but it does not proceed further past the designation on aerial, roads, hybrid or off. Any thoughts?

Stay safe.

Message 9 of 12
Murph_Map

@tnelson1 wrote:

morning Murph thanks for your support of our troops,

Tried to run the command that you listed , and even with logging onto 360 I am not able  to select any imagery or Live Maps. I get the opportunity to select map type but it does not proceed further past the designation on aerial, roads, hybrid or off. Any thoughts?

Stay safe.

Make sure you have a Coordinate System Assigned to your map/dwg. See attached image

Then you need an object in the dwg/map that is geolated in it's correct coordnitaes. 

coordSys.png

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 10 of 12
usama.naji79

hello ,pleas can i import 3d map from google earth to Autocad MAp 3d ,is there a video

or some thing simple

Message 11 of 12
scott

That is a nice solution.   The ability to zoom around and all is good.   My only issue is when I zoom in the image gets pixalated so the imagery isn't as good as GE.   Sometimes I need to see the corners of the roof.

Message 12 of 12
parkr4st
in reply to: scott

GE pro has save image button

Save the image of the area

Map3d, set GCS, and a base layer for reference.  You can pick points in GE and note the E & N for alignment points on items in the image you can easily find or align it to surveyed points.

If you have Raster Design, use the "I" commands, if not insert the image.  IINSERT and return will work if you have RD.

Scale, align, rotate the image to your reference points.

If you have RD IEXPORT the image with the geo-reference  file for use in the maps, otherwise save the map with the image as a template.

dave

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost