AutoCAD Map 3D General Discussion

AutoCAD Map 3D General Discussion

Reply
*Expert Elite*
Murph
Posts: 2,015
Registered: ‎11-13-2006
Message 11 of 17 (245 Views)

Re: Overlay Analysis

04-29-2013 04:58 PM in reply to: engrtech

Set your feature edits options to "Check out Features as AutoCAD enities. Then use the Query To filter data, select locate on map then pick inside or touching polygon, Ok. When it asks for the polygon use the select option and pick on the flood zone polygon feature. Then save the selected layer to a new SDF file.

 

Murph
Supportting the troops daily.
Valued Mentor
engrtech
Posts: 754
Registered: ‎05-05-2008
Message 12 of 17 (231 Views)

Re: Overlay Analysis

04-30-2013 05:05 AM in reply to: Murph

Murph wrote:

Set your feature edits options to "Check out Features as AutoCAD enities. Then use the Query To filter data, select locate on map then pick inside or touching polygon, Ok. When it asks for the polygon use the select option and pick on the flood zone polygon feature. Then save the selected layer to a new SDF file.

 


I saw where I can use a single polygon to do the selection. The problem is there are a lot of polygons that make up the flood zones. Do I have to do a OR statement for every single polygon that makes up the flood zones? If so, then no wonder ESRI is so popular considering this should be a basic GIS function. 

IDSP 2015
Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
8GB RAM
Valued Mentor
parkr4st
Posts: 454
Registered: ‎03-24-2004
Message 13 of 17 (222 Views)

Re: Overlay Analysis

04-30-2013 12:03 PM in reply to: Murph

like so

 

[LOCATION:INSIDE.POLYGON.ID1] OR [LOCATION:INSIDE.POLYGON.ID2] OR [next location etc.

Valued Mentor
engrtech
Posts: 754
Registered: ‎05-05-2008
Message 14 of 17 (216 Views)

Re: Overlay Analysis

04-30-2013 12:20 PM in reply to: parkr4st

parkr4st wrote:

like so

 

[LOCATION:INSIDE.POLYGON.ID1] OR [LOCATION:INSIDE.POLYGON.ID2] OR [next location etc.


I might as well just wait on our GIS division to do it since they use ArcGIS. I'm not going to manually select each and every polygon. That defeats the purpose of a query in the first place. Why not just count them by hand if that's the case?

IDSP 2015
Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
8GB RAM
Mentor
olivier.eckmann
Posts: 165
Registered: ‎02-14-2009
Message 15 of 17 (211 Views)

Re: Overlay Analysis

04-30-2013 01:33 PM in reply to: engrtech

Hi,

 

It's easy with MAP to do what you want.

I'm not sure of english terms (I use french version)

1. make a GIS overlay : source = WATER, target = BUILDING, mode intersection

=> you obtain a new layer WATER_INTERSECT which has minimum 2 fileds : FeatID_WATER and FeatID_BUILDING

2. edit BUILDING table and make a join with WATER_INTERSECT layer by using corresponding keys : FeatID on BUILDING table and FeatID_BUILDING on WATER_INTERSECT table

=> you obtain 3 new field on each BUILDING, and one of this field is FeatID_WATER which is NULL if building is not in WATER_INTERSECT which means this building is completly out of water.

3. Make your thematic on this WATER_INTERSECT|FeatID_BUILDING which is NULL or NOT

 

Olivier

Valued Mentor
engrtech
Posts: 754
Registered: ‎05-05-2008
Message 16 of 17 (207 Views)

Re: Overlay Analysis

04-30-2013 02:04 PM in reply to: olivier.eckmann

olivier.eckmann wrote:

Hi,

 

It's easy with MAP to do what you want.

I'm not sure of english terms (I use french version)

1. make a GIS overlay : source = WATER, target = BUILDING, mode intersection

=> you obtain a new layer WATER_INTERSECT which has minimum 2 fileds : FeatID_WATER and FeatID_BUILDING

2. edit BUILDING table and make a join with WATER_INTERSECT layer by using corresponding keys : FeatID on BUILDING table and FeatID_BUILDING on WATER_INTERSECT table

=> you obtain 3 new field on each BUILDING, and one of this field is FeatID_WATER which is NULL if building is not in WATER_INTERSECT which means this building is completly out of water.

3. Make your thematic on this WATER_INTERSECT|FeatID_BUILDING which is NULL or NOT

 

Olivier


Doing it that way worked. Thanks! It still seems very involved for something that should be pretty simple. 

IDSP 2015
Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
8GB RAM
Valued Mentor
parkr4st
Posts: 454
Registered: ‎03-24-2004
Message 17 of 17 (191 Views)

Re: Overlay Analysis

05-02-2013 02:29 AM in reply to: Murph

even easier

 

get your buildings on the map

draw a polygon away from the buildings

mapexport to a sdf & add to map

 

on an empty dwg layer draw all the selection polygons over the buildings as you need / want them

 

go to the sdf in Display manager and rc / select new feature from geometry and select all the polygons and ok

 

you can now use that data as your areas for selection as selecting any polygon will select all of the polygons as one sdf data item

 

and your sdf can be put into the map anytime you need to run the query again such as after you add or delete buildings.

 

dave

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.