AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Object Data

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
kym
626 Views, 11 Replies

Object Data

Hi, I need to export out of Map into MapInfo. My problem is I need the object data to export out into a specific order. At the moment I can only get it to export in alphabetic order which is no good for me. Is there any way I can reorder the object data into the order I want?

Thanks

Kym
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
MorganMcGuire
in reply to: kym

May be quicker within MapInfo. I can't remember the actual menu item as I don't use MapInfo anymore, but it's something called Table Maintenance --> Table Structure. In there you can reorder fields.

Morgan.
Message 3 of 12
kym

Thanks but we are actually trying to remove a step. At the moment we export to mapinfo and add the attributes only because our client uses mapinfo. We want to be able to do all the work in Map and export it to mapinfo without ever having to use mapinfo itself. The only thing that is holding us back at the moment is the fact that the object data is ordered alphabetically and not the waythe client wants it.
Message 4 of 12
ClaraAlmeida

As long as I know it, there isn´t a way you can sort the fields in OD, but in the export you can try the following:

- When you are in the export dialog box, and you´re in the Data tab, select the Object Data you want and press Select Fields.
- As you said, map sorts the fields alfabetically.
- If you right click on any field - you have the option to Insert Row.
- Well, the workaround will be Inserting Rows, Deleting Rows, Copying and Pasting the fields, until you achieve the order you wish...

Not very interesting, but can do the work..

Hope it helps.
Cheers
Clara
Message 5 of 12
kym

Thanks but still a no go as it still insists on it being sorted alphabetically. This is becoming and extremely frustrating problem.
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous

Why does it need to be in non-alphabetic
order?

Murph

style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
Thanks
but still a no go as it still insists on it being sorted alphabetically. This
is becoming and extremely frustrating problem.
Message 7 of 12
kym

The client wants it that way. We give them fortnightly updates to their GIS. They basically cut what we give them and paste it into theirs. If the columns don't match the attributes wont copy. We here are a cad shop and that will never change as we have over 100 cad users and 2 mapinfo users, so the idea is to keep every thing in a dwg and export out what we need. At the moment the GIS is in mapinfo and we keep a separate drawing for the drafters to xref and having the drawing separate to the GIS is causing problems.
Message 8 of 12
MorganMcGuire

One last thing I can think of to try other than reorder the tabs within MapInfo itself...

When you do your export from Map go to the created *.tab file and reorder the fields within that using notepad. I tried this and then tried to import the result back into Map and it came up with an error but may be ok for MapInfo??

Morgan.
Message 9 of 12
kym

That could work but I'm trying eliminate using other software and cut down any user input. We have to export twice a month and with around 20 columns there is bound to be some user error if someone has to use their brain.
Message 10 of 12
MorganMcGuire

Well check if it works with your two MapInfo guys then:

1. Make the *.tab the order you want and put in a safe location.
2. Do your exports as required and then copy over the newly created *.tab with the *.tab file which has the correct order. As *.tab only contains the table structure it shouldn't matter if you copy over this as long as you have the same fields & names.

Morgan.
Message 11 of 12
philsla
in reply to: MorganMcGuire

Has there been any update to this problem? I wish to do the same thing but cannot find any info online if it is possible or how to change the order other than alphabetical.

Thanks

Message 12 of 12
parkr4st
in reply to: philsla

Don't know anything about Mapinfo other than it just a data base on a map program like Map or esri type of thing  so forgive me if this is out to lunch

So why fight the system?

name your fields alphabeticaly, i.e a list of animals

a_Zebra, b_Cat, c_Pig, d_Elephant, e_Snake, etc

The data is in the order the client wants.  You don't have to work any to hard to supply the information requested.  You export it simply, directly and it's gone. I ran a quick test opening the Mapinfo *.tab in Tatuk and it looks ok to me.

Put in a alias field for the display name if Mapinfo can use it,  i.e the first fields would be Zebra, Cat, Pig, etc

or maybe inport into an empty mapinfo data table with the field alias names at the heads of the columns?

Dave

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost