AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

number precision

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Emmanuel.Delay
443 Views, 8 Replies

number precision

I work for the Belgian railroads; a few things that are related to railroads kind of clash with Autocad decisions.

We like to work in millimeter. We print in millimeter, we have precision equipment over large distances.

2 issues:

- It does not make sence (what so ever) that the precicion of scale gets the same number of digits as the precision of length.
Why can scale not get its own precision?

example: I draw electronics on the platform. In the model I need 200 meters; in paper space I have a total length of about 1500 mm; so a viewport scale of 1/200.
I have to set the lenth precision to 0.001 mm just to see the 0.005 scale in the properties pane. That doesn't make sence.

- calculator: Do not round numbers while calculating.
What you should do, is keep all the precision from start to end; then you display the the final result rounded.

example:
a television has a 13.57179323° angle to the rail; I have to rotate it 180°.
In the properties pane it displays 13.6.
I take the calculator (via the propeties pane), I add 180.

Result? 193.6
That's not right; when I add 180°, I expect the thing to turn around fully.
The calculator should start with exact value (not the rounded value shown in the properties); should add 180 to the best precision; and at the end I expect 193.57179323°. Only then are you justified to round the number in the properties display.

I am not asking for tricks to deal with the current reality; I am asking Autocad for extra features in the future.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Hi,

>> I am not asking for tricks to deal with the current reality

Well, then I don't understand your post in that forum here. This forum here is to search for solutions or ask questions about issues you have to get answers.

>> I am asking Autocad for extra features in the future

If you want to give inputs for future releases then post your wishes >>>in products feedback from Autodesk<<< or in >>>AUGI wishlist<<<.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 9
parkr4st
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

What is the television for anyway, just curious?

_units and set your length precison to the 8 decimal places and it show that way in properties and rotate 180 and still have 8 dp at least with my M3D2015

Message 4 of 9
Emmanuel.Delay
in reply to: parkr4st

That's for announcing what trains will arrive next.

(Flat screens, 42" and larger)

---

I am sorry if my request sounds rude; let me rephraze (it might still sound rude).

The point is: it 's not like anything keeps me from finishing my job.

But there are a few things about Autocad, where I don't understand why they do it this way.

They could easily do it different; it would make more sence to me.

Message 5 of 9

Increase the prceision shown to whatever precision you want.

Honestly, I don't know why it would matter if a television screen misaligned by < .03° is going to make a difference. If one aligns it that precisely, one must be paying an awful lot in labour to do so.

A review of sig figs (significant figures) and rounding might be in order.

Eric Collins, P.Tech.(Eng.)

Win 10
Intel i7 9700 @ 3 GHz
16 GB RAM
Civil 3D 2019
Message 6 of 9

OSNAP will see the difference; Perpendicular will see the difference, especially if the line starts far away; ...

When you publish to dwf you will see the difference.

Message 7 of 9

Yes, but will the user see the difference?

Win 10
Intel i7 9700 @ 3 GHz
16 GB RAM
Civil 3D 2019
Message 8 of 9

When you see a bug, you should not remain silent.

Programmers celebrate bugs.  

Let me show you an example: drupal

This is a really long list of bugs and issues about their own program.

https://www.drupal.org/project/issues

You get it into the open, you talk about it.

This gives the programmers the opportunity to make the program better.

Nobody is thinking: who screwed up? Let's fire him.

They just want to know how things could be even better.

Then they can fix it.

I saw something that could use improvement.  That's what I'm doing here.

Message 9 of 9

Technically, there's no bug here. Everything is working according to spec. But clearly, the customer experience is poor in your opinion. or it is a failure to properly set the length precision configuration. Either way, you have a point, and I hope the solutions provided answer your query. Please say so if they haven't.

Win 10
Intel i7 9700 @ 3 GHz
16 GB RAM
Civil 3D 2019

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost