AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Drawings in One Session - Drawing Window Order

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
BTKAMO
899 Views, 8 Replies

Multiple Drawings in One Session - Drawing Window Order

I am currently using AutoCAD Map 3D 2014.  When working with several drawings side-by-side in the same session of AutoCAD, it is difficult to keep the windows in the needed order (which drawing is on top of the other drawings).  The windows stay locked in the order they were opened, or they stay locked in the order that the file tabs are arranged at the top of the screen.  I would prefer that the window order would change based on the last window that was selected, as in previous versions of AutoCAD.

Here is an example of how this is working in 2014:

I have drawing "1" on the left side of the screen.  I have drawings "2" through "6" on the right side of the screen, with "2" on top and all others beneath it.  If I start to work on drawing "1", drawing "2" still shows on the right side of the screen because it was opened after drawing "1".  Now I bring up drawing "4" on the right side of the screen.  If I start working on drawing "1" on the left side of the screen, drawing "2" pops back up on top on the right side of the screen, covering drawing "4" that I was referencing, because "2" was opened immediately after "1".  So, if I want to work on drawing "1" while looking at "4", I must reorder the file tabs at the top so that "4" follows "1" (sometimes this works and sometimes it doesn't, I haven't figured out why).

In this example, reordering the tabs for 6 drawings wouldn't be that big of a deal, but it is still aggravating.  When working with several more drawings, it's nearly impossible . . . making you close all the drawings but the 2 you're working on.

This has caused me to make mistakes, also, because I missed the window change and updated the wrong, but similar looking drawing (that may sound funny, but believe me, it is not).

Is there a way to change this?  If not, please consider making this an option in future versions.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
parkr4st
in reply to: BTKAMO

you can open multiple concurrent sessions of the program & spread them across multiple monitors.

Message 3 of 9
dmatula_freer
in reply to: BTKAMO

it would be nice to be able to control the order of the drawings.  Why when opeing drawings 1-5  5 is the current one and after switching to drawing 1 you get taken back to drawing 5 all the time can drive you nuts.  Why cant you have the drawing order go 1, 2, 3.....instead of 5, 4, 3........

Message 4 of 9

Hi,

>> Why when opeing drawings 1-5  5 is the current one 

Maybe I'm not understanding the request, but when I have opened 4 drawing and then I open the 5th one ... why should AutoCAD make then DWG1 to the active drawing? If I open the next drawing I want to have that drawing active, because when I open it I need it now, so I want to have this one focused and not any other one.

>> and after switching to drawing 1 you get taken back to drawing 5 

How do you try to switch to DWG1? And do you say when you switch to DWG1 you can't access it as AutoCAD "takes you back to DWG5"?

It would be great to describe your steps more detailed, so we can follow to what you do and what happens on your screen/system.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 5 of 9

Hi,

[EDIT] sorry, wrong content [/EDIT}

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 6 of 9

i have drawings that may take more than 30 seconds to open.  So when I am getting ready to work on these i will try to open 5 at a time.  So from windows explorer I will select the drawings and drag them over to acad.  Then I grab my coffie cup and go get a cup of coffie.  When I get back drawing 5 is the active one.  I would like to work on drawing 1.  So i get drawing 1 active do what i need to do update it and then close it and drawing 5 is now the active drawing again when you would think that drawing 2 would be active since it would be the next one in line.  Also i have found that it does not matter what order you open the drawings in.  you can be in drawing 3 and open drawing 10 to copy something from and when you close drawing 3 drawing 10 will be the next active drawing.

I was hoping that there was a swithch somewhere in the program that I do not know about that would flip this behavior. 

Message 7 of 9

Hi,

I never thought about things like "having issues about which drawing is active after I close one", so I tried now to play with that.

>> Why when opeing drawings 1-5  5 is the current one and

>> after switching to drawing 1 you get taken back to drawing 5 all the time can drive you nuts.

And I can't reproduce that wrong focused dwg you describe here.

• At first, when I open 5 drawings, it's clear that the last one is the active one, it's usual and makes sense to have the file focused that is opened as the last one otherwise everytime you open a next drawing you will manually have to change to this next loaded one, so I see that as designed and as it makes sense.
  • BUT when I change then the focus from the last drawing to DWG1 and then close DWG1 it's not DWG5 that get's the focus then

So look to my video, try to follow the steps that I do and let's see if that works for you ... AND let us know what you are doing differently that makes that happen what you describe, maybe I missed something.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 8 of 9
parkr4st
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

My map3d 2015 behaves like Alfreds video.

You can drag the tabs to change the order if it's needed

and  ctrl & tab moves through the tabs as quick as you can push the buttons

dave

Message 9 of 9

Looks like it is time for a upgrade.......we are still on 2013.  2015 looks like it became more user friendly for a mutiple drawing invierment. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost