AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple association

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
mdrioux
589 Views, 5 Replies

Multiple association

Hi, I have problem to solve, which involve many differents question.

I want to do a simple thing : drap a ortho-photo on surface generated from contour line.

First thing, I need the basic terrain. I did import my contour line in a new draw, using the import map feature. I then saved the draw under the name " topo ". At this point, the contour line are 2D breakline with no elevation.

I then opened a new draw to which I did associate my draw " topo ". Then I used a querry to modify the elevation of the line using the attribute " contour " in my table, thus resulting in my breakline to become 3-D. It works fine. Then I save the new draw as " 3D_Topo ". I then get a warning :

" The association between objects interogated in the current drawing and associated will be deleted once the current document of the draw is closed " (I made the translation from french to english, in french it stated like this :  " L'association entre des objets interrogés dans des dessins courants et associés sera supprimée une fois le fichier de dessin courant fermé. " ).

Well question #1 : What does this warning mean / imply ?

Then, I have those .ecw files as ortho photo which I want to import. So I use the fonction " connect " with raster image, then I select my file, then I " add to draw ".... then something very strange happens.

Sometime, the image appears correctly...and some other times I get nothing and I get this " disconnected " message in the task pane ..and no matter how many time I actually connect again the .ecw files, it will not happen in the draw ! Then I simply close the draw, start map 3D again, then I do the exact same thing, and sometime it works, sometime it doesn't... am confused here.. any clues?

Question #2 : any clue on why the .ecw files sometime works, sometime doesn't?

Now, let's assume I finaly made it to connect correctly and that Map3d didn't crash whilst I was doing it (because I don't know for you, but here, it does happens quit often), I now have (as shows in the picture I attached) two thing. A surface made (well, I went back in the civil 3-D module to make the actual surface from the breakline definition) with the contour line and a imported image. I now want to drap the image on my surface! So I use the option " drap " which is in the surfaces option (in the ribbon surface tools)... well it looks nice since it propose me to use the surface I made up with the controu line as the base and the imported .ecw files as the file to be draped upon. So I simply do that and.... well...nothing happens! My image isn't draped at all, it stays there, and am confused, where did I go wrong?

Question #3 : How should I proceed to actually drap my image over my surface ?

Question #4 : Considering I made it to drap the surface, how can I save this new draw independatly of the attached other draw or databse?

Thanks alot for the help!!

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
antoniovinci
in reply to: mdrioux

mdrioux wrote:
question #1 : What does this warning mean / imply ?

It means that, after the query, you should detach the TOPO drawing.

mdrioux wrote:
Question #2 : any clue on why the .ecw files sometime works, sometime doesn't?

No clues, I'm sorry.

mdrioux wrote:
Question #3 : How should I proceed to actually drap my image over my surface ?

I guess you should click on the 3D button near the "Vertical Exaggeration" control.

mdrioux wrote

Question #4 : Considering I made it to drap the surface, how can I save this new draw independatly of the attached other draw or databse?

After detaching the TOPO drawing, save all "as" another name.

Message 3 of 6
mdrioux
in reply to: antoniovinci

Hi, thanks for the reply!

When you say detach the draw (in question #1) you mean from the task pane ? (just making sure)..

On question #3, you say that I should click on the 3D button near the "Vertical Exaggeration" control.

I am not quite sure about where this 3D button might be. Are you talking about the surface property (implying that this is a simple problem with the display and that my draping did work?). 

Because I don't think it's a simple mather of display here.. I think the raster image I imported really don't drap itself on my surface!

If this is not what you are telling me, I am sorry I do not understand exactly what you are pointing me (it might be pretty obvious but I am not that good with Civil 3D so.. sorry for being slow ! Smiley Sad )

I also have another question, which arose lately. I realised that, after I create my surface from the 3D contour line (or break line) these line still are displayed in background. I tryed to " delete " them but as I expected the surface disapears as well (I guess since it's definition are gone..it's logical). But is there a way to get rid of those line once my surface is made? I mean, they are no longer usefull and they drag power for nothing.

Thanks alot for your support !

Message 4 of 6
antoniovinci

You attach/detach the TOPO drawing by means of the same _ADEDRAWINGS command.

Even if this is not a Civil forum, you could get rid of unwanted contours as follows:

1] export your C3D surface with _LANDXMLOUT

2] open a blank drawing
3] _LANDXMLIN

Message 5 of 6
mdrioux
in reply to: antoniovinci

Oh, nice trick! Worked fine ! Thanks 🙂

I will ask the question about draping in the civil 3d section! Thanks for you help, very appreciated!

Message 6 of 6
antoniovinci

mdrioux wrote: 

I will ask the question about draping in the civil 3d section!

You could also have a look at this, Monsieur.

The 3D toolbar I was talkin' about is above the caption:
"La barra di stato di AutoCAD Map 3D, evidenziata in giallo"

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost