AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mr. Sid Image Shifting

30 REPLIES 30
Message 1 of 31
Cadguru42
3346 Views, 30 Replies

Mr. Sid Image Shifting

I have a Mr. Sid image that loads correctly in the model space (see screenshot). It was inserted using MAPIINSERT. In my layout, however, the image has shifted as shown in the attached screenshot. When I do a print preview, the image has shifted again, also shown in a screen shot. 

Why is the image shifting at all and why is it different between the layout and print preview?

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
30 REPLIES 30
Message 21 of 31
Cadguru42
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

@Alfred.NESWADBA wrote:

Hi,

>> No matter what I set the Draw Order to

If you have used the AutoCAD command _DRAWORDER within your project, the Map3D setting of draworders will not continue to work without issues. So either avoid the command (as long as you can) or - and that may help now - select those FDO-referenced images and run again the AutoCAD command _DRAWORDER to bring the images back.

It's quite hard to try to help you when every answer coming back is criticism.

Again, I just try to help you to get your work finished until tomorrow. But it get's more and more hard.

- alfred -

I'm not criticizing you and I appreciate the assistance. The problem is I run into a bug, then the solution has a bug, then that solution has an issue. It's extremely frustrating. 

I have never used AutoCAD's draworder in this drawing. I just now selected everything, right-clicked and moved to front. Half the linework comes on top of the image, the other half is below. I did a refresh and it all came on top of the image. But then in the layout it reverts to half on top half below. I did a regenall and it didn't fix it. From the viewport I selected everything again and did the Bring to Front. It worked long enough to plot it. 

It looks like Autodesk has made raster images work better from the FDO than what it used to. At least I can get my map made, but the issue with a Mr. Sid image shifting in a rotated viewport when inserted using MAPIINSERT is still there. 

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 22 of 31
nkg2
in reply to: Cadguru42

Are you getting an error message or nothing is happening on the screen?  If an error message what does it say?  If no message, first type zoom and at the prompt hit "e" for extents.  Most of the time the image is located at the where it was originated from especially if your drawing has not already been setup for a certain coordinate system.

***Viewer/Reader Discretion is Advised***
Autodesk 2022- Architectural, Engineering and Construction Subscription & Infraworks
Windows 10 Professional, x64, Microsoft Surface Pro 3
Message 23 of 31
Neilw_05

I've just encountered similar problems with a SID image. It is shifted both when I insert it or connect to it via FDO. Also I cannot get the image to display below my graphics when connected via FDO. When I move the image layer to the bottom of the layers in the task pane it still masks my graphics. Using draw order to bring the graphics to front doesn't make any difference nor does disconnecting and reconnecting the image.

I also can't find any way to clip an image when connected via. FDO. Is this not possible?

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 24 of 31
Cadguru42
in reply to: Neilw_05

@Neilw wrote:

I've just encountered similar problems with a SID image. It is shifted both when I insert it or connect to it via FDO. Also I cannot get the image to display below my graphics when connected via FDO. When I move the image layer to the bottom of the layers in the task pane it still masks my graphics. Using draw order to bring the graphics to front doesn't make any difference nor does disconnecting and reconnecting the image.

I also can't find any way to clip an image when connected via. FDO. Is this not possible?

I'm not sure. Since I had so much trouble with this back in May I haven't tried rotating a viewport with a Mr. Sid. Because of the issues I've resorted to using our 2007 GeoTIFFs when I have to rotate a viewport. On top of that, the bug about no Autodesk product reading the units correctly in GeoTIFF headers is still there. I have to set the drawing to have no coordiate system, insert the TIF, then turn the coordinate system back on. Very annoying. 

Did you try inserting it via MAPIINSERT?

EDIT: Make sure the drawing coordinates match those of the image. If they don't, Map will try to automatically shift it for you which can cause issues. When you say it's shifted even in the model space, do you think it could be a units issue between US survey feet and International feet?

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 25 of 31
nkg2

As far as I know it cannot be done in terms of clipping unless you do map insert. 

Since you have infrastructure work, you can try a few maneuvers as I have found that seems to work better.  Take your SID or DEM and leave it in its own coordinate system and go to say infraworks or map3d.  Save the file and then bring it into Civil3d on the coordinates that you want.  Sometimes that works but other timesyou may have to go the reverse.  I have found more luck to do DEMS and SID in Infraworks, do a boundary on the area I want, export to IMX and then bring that IMX file in either in Map 3d or Civil 3d depending on which works.  It sucks but for whatever reason it appears that the translation engine is not the same from one program to the next.  Autodesk is aware of it and it is being worked on.  Good luck!

Autodesk 2022- Architectural, Engineering and Construction Subscription & Infraworks
Message 26 of 31
Neilw_05

When I said I had tried Insert and FDO, I used MAPINSERT. I did ensure my coordinate system was set to match the image and I also manually applied it in the FDO connection options.

Any thoughts about the DrawOrder issue? I noted Alfred said applying a draworder command may cause problems but I don't know how to fix it.

I'm not too pleased with using Infrastructure modeler as it triples processing times (1 time to load in IM, 2x to export from IM, 3X to import to C3D). It seems I run into obstacles with everything I try to do in C3D.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 27 of 31
Cadguru42

I'm running into this problem yet again. Service Pack 1 did not fix this shifting issue and I have to get this working for a public meeting tonight. This is so frustrating how one version of the software works fine, then the next breaks something, and we're left hoping the next version fixes the bug in the previous version.

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 28 of 31
nkg2

@engrtech wrote:

I'm running into this problem yet again. Service Pack 1 did not fix this shifting issue and I have to get this working for a public meeting tonight. This is so frustrating how one version of the software works fine, then the next breaks something, and we're left hoping the next version fixes the bug in the previous version.

I understand your frustration.  To me, you can do one of two things.  First, try taking your images through Map 3D or Infraworks.  If it comes in fine there then send it out under another format like DXF or IMX.  The second option is if you have high speed internet access where you are doing your presentation and you have access to your computer via Remote Desktop (assuming that you are trying to look at aerials) then just give a live feed of your screen for that portion with geomap turned on for your area.  Just a thought.

Message 29 of 31
Cadguru42
in reply to: nkg2

@nkg2 wrote:

@engrtech wrote:

I understand your frustration.  To me, you can do one of two things.  First, try taking your images through Map 3D or Infraworks.  If it comes in fine there then send it out under another format like DXF or IMX.  The second option is if you have high speed internet access where you are doing your presentation and you have access to your computer via Remote Desktop (assuming that you are trying to look at aerials) then just give a live feed of your screen for that portion with geomap turned on for your area.  Just a thought.

I did try to do what I did many months ago by using FDO to bring in the image, but I couldn't find a way to fade the image. Since this was being broadcast on TV and in a public meeting room I need the image faded to show the linework better on top of it. I also had the problem where once the image was turned on, I had to use the ACAD draworder command as the one built into MAPWSPACE refused to work. Parts of the drawing would show up on top of the image and others just wouldn't. Once I got the linework on top of the image, all the colors of the lines changed to a dull white color and I couldn't figure out how to get the colors to go back to being based on the layers instead of what the map style wanted. I ended up just not using the aerial photo behind our proposed road changes.

I'll look into using InfraWorks to convert the 2.5GB MrSid image to a TIFF, but I have a feeling it'll end up not working just like how Raster Design can't do it. 

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 30 of 31
Cadguru42

This is still a known bug confirmed to affect Map & C3D 2016. Autodesk has given a knowledge base article about it, but it doesn't really address the issue and doesn't acknowledge the issue for versions 2012, 2013, nor 2016. 

http://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/autocad-civil-3d/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticle...

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 31 of 31
mnyrac

I'm working in Civil 3D 2016 and just experienced this issue.  I found another article that said to try toggling the Perspective system variable on and off to fix this.  In my viewport, I turned Perspective on (1) and the aerial shifted back into place.  I then turned it off (0), and it hasn't moved out of sync.  I'm not sure this is a very good answer, but it seemed to work for me. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost