AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move features to new FDO layer

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Gary_Braun
513 Views, 4 Replies

Move features to new FDO layer

I did a quick search and couldn't find anything on this, so forgive me if it's already been dealt with somewhere.

Does anyone know how to move or copy features from one FDO layer to another, either on the same data connection or a seperate one?

The scenario I have involves working with a gravity main system in a SQL Server (actually SDE) FDO connection. If we replace a piece of main on a new alignment then I want to keep the geometry of the old main but mark it as abandoned and move it to a different feature class in my SQL database. I know that bulk copy can be used to copy entire layers, but what if I only have a small number of discrete features I want to move? Can this be done in Map?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
hence_the_name
in reply to: Gary_Braun

Hi Gary,

don't knwo if that works - extract geometry from feature (source) and create new feature (target) using extracted geometry. Not really "copy and paste".

Other option - don't delete fetaure in source just mark it as "deleted" - requires new attribute.

Either you have a layer which filters out features marked as "deleted" or once in while you copy the features marked as deleted to a new table.

Or use trigger to move object form one tbale to another?

Good luck,

Rob

http://raumpatrouille3d.blogspot.ch/
Message 3 of 5
Gary_Braun
in reply to: hence_the_name

The problem with doing an extract geometry & create new feature on the target layer is that it doesn't bring across any of the attributes, so it becomes a tedious process of manually copying them all over to the new feature.

I do have a field to flag a feature as deleted, and I also have some other processes I can put to use that will do the move for me. The thing is though, that I want to continue to use Map as my editing environment, without having to rely on other software or or processes to do this work.

Maybe what I'm asking for is simply not possible to do with FDO at this time, but it seems to me that it would be a very useful change request. I wonder where and how we submit such things.
Message 4 of 5
Murph_Map

@Gary_Braun wrote:
 I wonder where and how we submit such things.

The wish list for Map3D is the one for Civil3D over in AUGI. Not many if none of the wish for Map3D that I've seen get included.

You can try the feedback section of the beta site  good luck. 😞 

Or here http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794 The main feedback/suggection site for Autocad.

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 5 of 5
jackmelgers

Hello Gary:

With respect to bulk copy, as far as I know, it is does not only work with entire layers, but with filtered layers as well.

In the Display Manager you can apply a filter using an expression and then use bulk copy with just the filtered data.

Best regards,

Jack Melgers.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost