AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Measuring areas in Map 3D 2012

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
JanineW
558 Views, 4 Replies

Measuring areas in Map 3D 2012

I've tried to measure the area of a road layout (that includes curves) and it is giving me a completely unrealistic answer (310,000m2 instead of 41,000m2).  If I de-curve the lines, the area is about right, but the lines MUST remain curved for me to get the most accurate measurment.  Does anyone have any idea why curves aren't being measured properly, and is there a setting I can use to make sure this doesn't happen again?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
parkr4st
in reply to: JanineW

could you post the road layout here?

Dave

Message 3 of 5
antoniovinci

JanineW wrote:

is there a setting I can use to make sure this doesn't happen again?

When you re-curve them, try to apply _F in your _PEDIT options, then issue the command _BOUNDARY in order to retain the inner area as a new object.

Check the area in the properties of that new object-boundary: what about it?

If not satisfying, try a different value (5 or 6) of SPLINETYPE variable, apply _S in your _PEDIT options, and do _BOUNDARY again.

Message 4 of 5
JanineW
in reply to: antoniovinci

Thanks very much for that info, I had tried your first suggestion, but didn't get round to the second.  I found some extraneous splines and curves in the layout where there should have been straight lines, and somehow?!?!? these accounted for nearly 200,000m2 of extra area!!!! Don't know how, but it's something I'll keep an eye on from now on.  Weirdly AutoCAD 2009 had ignored them.

Thanks again

Message 5 of 5
antoniovinci

JanineW wrote:

didn't get round to the second 

Madame,

I guess you'd better train yourself with the following steps:

1] start over with an empty drawing

2] draw a closed poly, for instance a star, made by straight lines

3] copy this poly twice, one beside the other, so you will have 3 polylines, right?

4] issue the command SPLINETYPE and set to 5

5] _PEDIT on the poly #1, and choose _S as option

6]  issue the command SPLINETYPE and set to 6 

7] _PEDIT on the poly #2, and choose _S as option

8] _PEDIT on the poly #3, and choose _F as option

Now you are able to understand which PEDIT option is better suitable to your needs...

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost