AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MapInfo Tab files into Autocad 3D Map

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
1973 Views, 6 Replies

MapInfo Tab files into Autocad 3D Map

I am an experienced MapInfo User but a Novice Autocad user. My reasons for venturing into the world of Autcad is to improve the quality of the plans my team create currently in MapInfo. I have successfully imported MapInfo tab files into Autocad but I have been unable to label or query the data using the attributes. In fact I haven't been able to view the attribute data at all. Can anyone assist?
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Murph_Map
in reply to: Anonymous

When you import the mapinfo file(s) you need to create Object Data tables. In the import dialog click in the column DATA and select create object data. Once you have the OD you can select an object and it displays the attributes in the property palette or use the _adeeditdata command.

Another option is use the FME FDO provider and data connect, you need the FME prover from Safe software.

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Murph_Map

Thanks Murph. I will have a go at that and let you know how it goes.
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

Why Autocad Map doesn't recognize (automatically) projection from mapinfo files?.

I have some TAB files with UTM projection, when i try to import this files to Autocad Map, always ask for the coord system; with shape files (including *.prj) I get the same behavior. I need manually set the coord sys for each GIS file.

Thanks in advances for any help.

Message 5 of 7
antoniovinci

dante8500 wrote:
with shape files (including *.prj) I get the same behavior

That's the biggest pain in our loved software.

The reason is simple: Autocad Map is not a pure Gis software, it's a cartographic Cad with some Gis features.

A workaround would be creating as many templates as the CRS ones you use: doing so, when you force the not-read PRJ upon MAPIMPORTing, the shape will be reprojected on-the-fly into the current CRS.

Message 6 of 7
Murph_Map

What Map3D version are you using? The older versions were that way the new versions will read the .prj file.

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 7 of 7
jgil
in reply to: Murph_Map

Hi, I have the same issues; My Autocad Map is version 2014; I work only with Mapinfo (TAB) files.

How edit CRS (or definition file for Autocad Map coord system) to get automatically the Mapinfo projection?.

I work for a Peruvian company, I only use three projections:

UTM 18S (meters)

UTM 18N (meters)
Lon/Lat WGS84 (grads)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost