AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mapexportfdo to FDO (Oracle) with user defined SRID in Oracle fails

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
luc.vanlinden
621 Views, 5 Replies

mapexportfdo to FDO (Oracle) with user defined SRID in Oracle fails

ORacle spatial connected via FDO.
Oracle Table uses a user defined SRS.
Drawing entities (CAD) in DWG file.

command: mapexportfdo

If no CS is assigned in Map 3D, the export of the autocad entities works ok, the result geometries are written with the correct (table/metadata) SRID.

If a CS in MAP3D is assigned (for example as a result when using a WMS from a public server), the export fails.

It seems that MAP3D is trying to "translate" the CR to SRID somehow and it fails if these are different. As this is a "plain CAD" to GIS export, I expect MAP3D to behave like:

Either it just works as in the first step (write geometries) and pick the SRID from the metadata, without applying any transformation.

Or it applies a transformation if feasible ONLY when I the user checks the thick box: Convert Coordinate to (in the options tab on the Export dialog box.

In my case I do not want to transform, I just need the geomes being exported into the target table. So far I have only managed to do so when both drawing cr and oracle SRID are "MAP3D technically equal" (based on a similar EPSG code) 

Specifically, because MAP3D does not recognize the user defined SRID in ORacle, obviously it is up to the user to know what to do with the data.

NOTE1: "export fails" is the only message as a user I get from the software, not knowing what is going on. I had to drill down this issue by trial and error, great error messaging (or better refusing message).

NOTE2: Export via another file format is NO option! I need a direct export (as it always worked, also when creating features from geometry). This time I need to exportway.

Anyone noticed this? came accross this? Autodesk?

I opened a case 4 days ago under my subscription account, but no reaction/feedback so far (only autogenerated email message confirming the case was opened), so thought I try it here...

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Hi Luc,

I did a quick internal search for information regarding this, and here is what I found:

Sometimes MAPEXPORTFDO fails to export to SQL Server Spatial when a CS is assigned to the DWG, but only if entities exist outside of the spatial extents of the coordinate system. This really wouldn't explain why you are seeing trouble with Oracle, but I thought that I'd mention it because SQL Server Spatial enforces CS extents (Oracle does not seem to be as picky).

It is also reported that MAPEXPORTFDO to Oracle can fail if CS transformation issues occur, i.e. if the DWG CS and the Oracle database CS don't completely match.

Hopefully this helps a little...

Thanks,
Phil

Phil Borycens
Message 3 of 6

Thanks Phil for your feedback.

With other words, it is bug or at least unstable. Nor is it consistent.

There is a thickbox for transformations. not thicked means NO transformation. Why is this piece of software trying to be too smart?

If it is thicked and transform does not work (for what reason whatsoever) yes, then it is a user's problem. (at least with specific error messaging). BTW, the coords are not out of the bounds.

Do youknow how I can un-assign a CS ? I have not seen it immediatly.

Have you reported it to getting fixed?

tx

Luc

Message 4 of 6

Thanks for the reply, Luc.

There isn't really a way to remove a coordinate system assignment from a DWG. Saying "No" to the prompt "Include AutoCAD Map information in the export" when doing a WBLOCK to a new drawing does not strip the CS, and you cannot remove the assignment using MAPCSASSIGN or even the older ADESETCRDSYS dialog. Copy and paste between drawings might be the only way to go on this...

And yes, it has been reported to Development for further investigation.

Phil Borycens
Message 5 of 6

Hi,

with this lisp expression, you can remove a coordinate system

(ade_projsetwscode "")

or in the command

ADESETCRDSYS  you just enter a dot  

Olivier

Message 6 of 6

Hi Olivier

helpfull tip thanks a lot.

Phil

I will create a new thread, as I am not getting the required response through the subscription support (why I am actually paying all that money?).

the FDO export is to what I can see very flackey in general. No real feedback: either a message "failed", or a fatal error, or even the message 5 objects exported succesfully, while in practice either 0, or a couple of features are actually stored in the database. Are these functions/toolsactually tested?

Luc

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost