AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MapCleanup overlapping PL (vertices in other order) NOT duplicate PL

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
luc.vanlinden
431 Views, 9 Replies

MapCleanup overlapping PL (vertices in other order) NOT duplicate PL

Hi

Seems MAP2014 MapClenaup does NOT detect overlapping closed polylines digitised with vertices in different order as being duplicate.

All properties are the same, "spatially" they are equal, they even have equal number of vertices, and the vertices are equal, only the order in which they are digitised is different, meaning the startpoint/1st vertex is different.

Funny, when the start point is equal, but the direction is reversed then they are seen as duplicate.

How can these be detected if MapCleanup fails do do so?

Anyone else has experienced this?

tx

Luc Van Linden

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Hi,

just to make sure that there are not more than your circumstances necessary to get that produced ... can you upload a drawing with 2 polylines so we can try to reproduce that?

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 10

Hi Alfred

Please find attached the sample example drawing.

2 situations:

left: 2 "duplicate" polylines different orientation with same start vertex.

MapCleanup - select manual (2 left pl) - delete duplicates - duplicates detetected by mapcleanup

right: 2  "duplicate" polylines different start vertex

MapCleanup - select manual (2 right pl) - delete duplicates - duplicates NOT detetected by mapcleanup

(all digitised with object snap; all on layer 0)

tx for looking into this

Luc

Message 4 of 10

Hi,

I used now Map 3D 2015 SP3 64bit.

I opened your drawing and used my default cleanup-set (find attached file) and the result was ok, only one polyline where 2 existed before.

Does that work for you too or not (with my DPF)?

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 5 of 10

Alfred

Not sure you have attatched something (dfp)?

On Map2014 SP1 the situation on the right remains the same: 0 errors were detected by Drawing Cleanup.

tx

Luc

Message 6 of 10

Hi,

I have attached it within the ZIP, just had to update the message 😉

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 7 of 10

Alfred

Thanks for your effort and help, much appreciated, however, your approach (DFP) is breaking everything up (you have all crossing, breaking, stuf in there).

With other words a brute force cleanup, which is not helpfull at all in our case. This works in this simplified case to demonstrated the strange and to my opinion inconsistent approach of the map cleanup tool.

That was not my question.

The question is clearly:

Should  2 polylines, which are spatially equal, which have the same number of vertices, which share the same vertices, however shared those vertices in another sequence  (in this case closed polylines with starting vertex being different), be considered as "duplicate" withing the MAPCLEANUP tool?

To my personal opinion YES, however (at least on my MAP2014) MapCLEANUP seems to be saying NOT duplicate

Funny enough, when 2 polylines start at the same vertex, sharing the same vertices but have complete different directions MAPCleanup says Yes duplicates

tx (again Alfred)

Luc

Message 8 of 10

Hi,

well, using only cleanin goption duplicate objects with Map 3D 2015 does the same you describe and so what I see is it recognizes the objects as same as start and endpoint are the same like used in GIS-islands. The polylines with different start (and there is does not depend if they have the same or not the same direction) are not recognized as duplicates.

You can see the difference in your original drawing also when running command _OVERKILL ... there you see the issue on detecting "same objects".

I understand your wish to know the theory behind that, but do you have a short description whatfor you need cleaning only duplicates without using the other cleaning methods? I can't assume why I should avoid the other cleaning methods, neither for a network-topology nor for a polygonal topology. Maybe if we know the background of what's your workflow we find other options to do that?

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 9 of 10

Hi Alfred

Use case is plain simple.

We got an asbuilt drawing with a lot of content, some of which contains duplicate information, and apparently with some polylines as described earlier being spatially equal (1 polyline spatially equal to the other).

We want to remove the duplicate entities.

At the same time we do not want to "explode" (brute force cleaning) as we need to retain the properties and characteristics (in this case, being closed polylines).

Cleanup is part of MAP, hence to my personal opinion, we can expect from MAP Cleanup to detect those duplicates.

tx

Luc

Message 10 of 10

Hi,

thank you for your feedback and description of your workflow!

>> Cleanup is part of MAP, hence to my personal opinion, we can expect from MAP Cleanup to detect those duplicates.

Well, I would place that feedback to that site: >>>Products Feedback<<<

But to be honest, it's hard to say "duplicate" if polylines have different start-/enddpoints, are they equal or not, but as different directions (which might be flow directions) are seen as equal it might recognize the different points as well, I understand that.

You might run a tool that reorders the closed polylines (all clockwise) and all with the same start-vertex (lowest one, if more than one vertex have the same y-value then the leftmost one of them) ... then you find them and can clean them. But I don't know a option without such a tool now, sorry.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost