AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Map3D Connection Failure to PostgreSQL / Postgis (Linux Host)

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
tech
1045 Views, 2 Replies

Map3D Connection Failure to PostgreSQL / Postgis (Linux Host)

I would like to connect a Map3D drawing to a PostgreSQL/PostGIS database hosted on a linux server on my network.  In the past I have successfully connected to PostgreSQL/PostGIS when the server/db is running on the same Windows box where I am using AutoCAD.  I've been able to do this with several combinations of Windows (XP/7/7x64)/PostgreSQL(8.4/9.1)/PostGIS (1.5/2.0) and AutoCAD Map (2013). 

I have even been able to connect from one Windows PC running AutoCAD Map to a PostGIS database hosted on another Windows machine on the network, but not to a database hosted by a Linux server.  When I try this from an XP workstation, the application (ACAD) immediately crashes without warning (this happens after I enter the connection information and try to "login").  On Windows 7, the application crash is almost as immediate, but it at least gives me an exit code error "FATAL ERROR: Unhandled e06d7363h Exception at..."

I've tried to view the postgres logs on the db server.  I usually get one of these for each failure:

2013-05-31 10:53:42 EDT LOG:  could not accept SSL connection: Connection reset by peer

I've tweaked the postgres file (pg_hba.conf) to allow non-ssl/ssl/etc to make sure that I don't have problems there.  In fact, I have other GIS apps on the AutoCAD workstation that I use to test the PostGIS connectivity prior to trying AutoCAD.  I've looked for other things like Antivirus/firewall that might be contributing, but I've come up empty.  I've also tried using the newer "OGR FDO" providers from osgeo.org.  I get the same behavior with those.

In short, has anyone been able to connect AutoCAD Map 3D 2013 to a non-Windows PostgreSQL/PostGIS host?  If so, can you share any advice/tips/experience that might lead me to a successful connection?

Thanks for your time,

-Jeffrey

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
phil_borycens
in reply to: tech

We have another customer who is crashing like you are. They are using Postgres 9.1.9 and PostGIS 1.5.8, also on a Linux server. We have suggested that they try using AutoCAD Map (or Civil) 3D 2014 to make this connection. Have you tried that? We also have a ticket open with Development to investigate this further.

Phil Borycens
Message 3 of 3
tech
in reply to: tech

I wanted to follow up on this topic after trying the suggestion for Autodesk support.  I was reluctant to upgrade my version of AutoCAD Map just to test this, but my curiousity eventually got the best of me.  I can report that on the same machine where I had trouble connecting AutoCAD Map 2013 to a PostGIS  layer hosted by a linux server, I can connect AutoCAD Map 2014 without error messages!

I haven't done any work with the map/model yet, but at least I'm connected!  Too bad I can't just waltz around to my other statios and do the same.  Something about upsetting their work flow for the purpose of enabling a feature that they aren't currently using ... what's wrong with people?

Thanks for your response and for your help!  Any way to supply a patch that would give me the same success with 2013?  (I can wish, can't I?)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost