AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

map image insert NAIP raster photo not reprojecting and 4 bands

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
GIS_user
1645 Views, 8 Replies

map image insert NAIP raster photo not reprojecting and 4 bands

Hello all,

I have limited experience with AutoCAD, I am an ESRI GIS user. So here goes:

We are trying to use map image insert to insert a NAIP photo. The NAIP photo is in UTM meters. The existing AutoCAD Civil dwg is in state plane illinois wf. Everything I have read says all you have to do is go to map image insert, pick the tiff, my correlation source is a world file (.tfw), and BAM, your raster image should show up where it is supposed to. Well, it doesn't work. Does anyone have any ideas? It appears that AutoCAD is not reprojecting the image to state plane feet. How can I get it to do this?

If we connect to the image, it reprojects it just fine. However, on every pan and zoom it is redrawing. We can't wait for the program to redraw all the time, it's too slow. So if we can figure out how to import it, it's a much faster option.

Another problem: the NAIP has 4 bands and the 4th band is an Alpha Band 1. This makes the image appear faded and white. In ArcMap you can simply uncheck the 4th band so the image looks normal again. Is there a way to do that in AutoCAD Map?

Thank you,

Andrea

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
antoniovinci
in reply to: GIS_user

GIS_user wrote:

It appears that AutoCAD is not reprojecting the image to state plane feet. How can I get it to do this?

The _MAPIINSERT command does not reproject anything on-the-fly.
You should import your UTM imagery in an empty drawing, assign a CRS with _ADESETCRDSYS, and save.
Then open your State Plane drawing, attach the UTM one with _ADEDRAWINGS, finally perform a draw query to embed it in the current SP map.

GIS_user wrote:

In ArcMap you can simply uncheck the 4th band so the image looks normal again. Is there a way to do that in AutoCAD Map?

You can't: Autocad is able to handle the main transparency in the raster properties, but only with mono .TIF and color .PNG files, sir.

Message 3 of 9
GIS_user
in reply to: antoniovinci

Very helpful, Thank you!!

Message 4 of 9
cjneper

There is a way to do this...

If you insert the image into a blank drawing that has the image's coordinate system assigned, then save that drawing containing just the image.

Then open the drawing with the coordinate system you want it projected to, query the image drawing into this drawing, and it will be projected to the new coordinate system.

Message 5 of 9
antoniovinci
in reply to: cjneper

cjneper wrote:

There is a way to do this...

Just explained two posts above (22-07-2012 12:17 PM): why repeating the same one, sir?

Message 6 of 9
cjneper

oops.  Did not see that one.  Sorry.  Good answer by the way 🙂

Message 7 of 9
GIS_user

I have a different drawing that is in WGS84 and I queried in my stateplane .sid from a stateplane dwg, just like the above workflow. I am using AutoCAD Map 2011 in this project. When I go to close it, AutoCAD map warns me that my queried objects will not be saved. Then it says it has detached my dwg and it asks if I want to detach the image. I click on No.

When I open it again the command line says "Activating drawing...done". But my image does not show up until I go to the Task Pane and right click on my "Current Query" and click on "Execute as Defined". Is this normal?

Thanks for your help,

Message 8 of 9
antoniovinci

GIS_user wrote:

AutoCAD map warns me that my queried objects will not be saved

I guess it happens 'cause you did not perform a "true" draw query: try to set like this below

Message 9 of 9
GIS_user

Ok thanks. I had been doing that. I tried 2x to reproduce the same messages so I could screen shot them to you, and I can't get AutoCAD map to give me those messages again! So I will just say it was either user error or some sort of small bug that isn't reproducable. In any case, it's working great now. Smiley Happy Thanks!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost