AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Map 3D to Google Earth

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
sduffin
2769 Views, 4 Replies

Map 3D to Google Earth

Is there a way to export a layer from Map 3D to google earth?  It appears the built in google earth extension only exports linework that is part of the DWG and not GIS  layers.

For example, I have arcview shapefiles of drainage areas for a storm drain report that have been connected to throught the data connect palette, and stylized through the task pane.  I would think there should be an easy way to export this drainage layer directly to a KML file that can then be opened up in Google Earth.  Does anyone know how to go about it other than converting a map to a dwg and then exporting it to GE?

Thanks for your help.

Scott

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Murph_Map
in reply to: sduffin

SL-King has a free FDO Provider that will allow you to convert /bulk copy to a KML file.

http://www.sl-king.com/FdoKML/FdoKML.html

Last time I used it it worked pretty good.

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 3 of 5
scott
in reply to: Murph_Map

I downloaded the files and believe I installed it correctly.  I am able to import *.kml files via FDO into Map 3d so I think I did that part right.

I am a little unsure on the steps to add a KML Connection.  What do you type in the File: Box?  Do you hit the Login button then?  Just a little confused here.

Also, when you get to the bulk copy screen do you just select geometry in the schema?   I am getting errors when I click the Copy Now button.  Sometimes it says 'connection is closed or busy'.  Sometimes it says 'The indentifier 'KML_FDO_NAME' was not recognized.

Thanks.

Message 4 of 5
Murph_Map
in reply to: scott

In the file box you put in the full path to the kml file. Log in is not needed.

If you installed the FDO2FDO tool from SL-King that's a stand-a-lone application that does not run inside of MAP3D that has the copy shp to kml options.

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 5 of 5
scott
in reply to: Murph_Map

Spent way to much time trying to figure out how to make this work.  No luck yet.  

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

”Boost