AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Map 3D 2013 crash upon opening a drawing

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
amm30165
691 Views, 6 Replies

Map 3D 2013 crash upon opening a drawing

After upgrading/switching my stand alone license from Civil 3D 2011 to Map 3D 2013, my computer is crashing before a complete opening of some larger dwgs (1575 KB).  Sometimes I get an Out of Memeory message.

Other (much smaller) drawings open fine.

The switch from Civil to Map was made because we were not using any of the civil bells and whistles that make it unique. 

Map suits our needs.  We use shp files (data connect) to generate most of our work.

I can use another computer in our office that has Map 3D 2011 and am able to open up any of the drawings with no problems.  Because I had no issues with Map 3D 2011, I thought moving up to 2013 would be "easy". 

We have a subscription and every couple of years try to load up the latest and learn to live with it.

Now I am wondering if we can all just go to Map 2011 and forget 2013.

I have read that others have had this crashing/memory problem but cannot seem to find an answer to the problem.

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 6/6/2012, 11:42:57

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.111025-1629)
           Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: LENOVO
       System Model: 6075CTO
               BIOS: Lenovo ThinkCentre BIOS Ver 2RKT38.0
          Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     E4500  @ 2.20GHz (2 CPUs)
             Memory: 3062MB RAM
          Page File: 494MB used, 5501MB available
        Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
     DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.5512 32bit Unicode

Alicia
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: amm30165

Hi,

1.5MB Drawings are not large (under normal drawing structures), but there may be some parts displayed within the drawing, that are

• referenced like XRefs
  • referenced like images
  • referenced like some GIS-data (SHP, SDF, SQL-Server, ...)

And their geometry-objects are not stored in the drawing, so the drawing is small, but the memory needed for displaying them may be high.

If you get this message quite often I would suggest to use a 64bit operating system (if the other software and data you are using is not problem for 64bit).

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 7
thepworth

I would say from the Autodesk user standpoint XP is nearly, if not already a "dead" operating system for current software releases.  Moreso for C3D than Map.  Not that upgrading Map to a 64-bit OS isn't without issues, but the combination of the software and OS in memory are probably the root cause.  Have you tried enabling the 3GB switch in XP?  Otherwise, consider Win7 64, but realize that if you're connecting to databases beyond simply using .SHP's you may have some headaches to deal with....

Best of Luck!

Message 4 of 7
thepworth
in reply to: thepworth

Oh, and turn off dynamic page file allocation through your operating system and hard-set it at 2x your installed RAM.....

Message 5 of 7
amm30165
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Alfred,

I agree, the drawing itself is not large but I think the problem may be all the shp files connected and how they are sorted, styled and labeled.  It is a lot of information to process.

Am considering getting a new computer.  Any suggestions?  Will probably stay with the 32-bit OS.

Alicia
Message 6 of 7
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

>> Will probably stay with the 32-bit OS.

That would be a problem, you may have a little bit success trying the 3GB-switch as thepworth suggested, but that's just a few 100MB you win.

Without changing to a 64bit OS I would also say you won't need a new pc, because with a faster pc the only difference is that the message raises up more quickly. 😉

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 7 of 7
amm30165
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Thanks to all who replied; I apprediate your time and advice.

Alicia

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost