AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Map 2012 SP1 - SQL Server Connection

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Gary_Braun
923 Views, 6 Replies

Map 2012 SP1 - SQL Server Connection

Since installing SP1for 2012 I've noticed a significant degradation in performance when connecting to non-spatial SQL Server tables using the FDO OBDC connection. Simply connecting to the database now takes several (20-30?) minutes during which time Map is totally unresponsive, and i can forget about trying to do a join to one of the tables once the connection is made. I tried it yesterday, letting it go for a few hours before finally forcing Map shut at the end of the day.

I'm trying to get a sense of whether or not it is something broken with Map in general, or if it is more likely related to either my installation or changes in the DBs to which I'm connecting. So, has anyone else noticed anyting similar since installing the service pack?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
gluckett
in reply to: Gary_Braun

Yes, I have noticed this for all FDO ODBC (mostly SQL Server).

I create a new database and create views to the original data so that Map does not need to enumerate all the non-used tables in the rest of the database.

Message 3 of 7
KrakowiAneczka

That's quite serius issue - I think. I haven't updated it yet and I'm not goint to yet Smiley Tongue

Message 4 of 7
Gary_Braun

This morning I went through my ...\Map3D2012\bin\FDO folder to see which files were updated by the service pack. I focused on what I thought were the five most likely culprits for the specific problem I was having, backed them up then replaced them with the original version of the files that were first shipped with Map 2012.

I then was able to connect to my SQL Server non-spatial database in about a minute, and was able to do a join between my SDF feature and my SQL Server table afterwards in about 10-seconds. I can't say this is definitive proof that Autodesk has botched one or all of these files in the service pack, but it has made a remarkable difference in my case.

The files I replaced are:

ODBCOverrides.dll

ODBCProvider.dll

RdbmsOverrides.dll

SqlServerOverrides.dll

SqlServerProvider.dll

Am I the only one experiencing this then?

Message 5 of 7
gluckett

Hi,

the DLLs that are tied to the SQL Server Spatial Connection (FDO 3.6):

OSGeo.FDO.Providers.Rdbms.Overrides.dll
OSGeo.FDO.Providers.SQLServerSpatial.Overrides.dll
RdbmsMsg.dll
RdbmsOverrides.dll
SQLServerSpatialOverrides.dll
SQLServerSpatialProvider.dll
SmMessage.dll

You may also consider getting them from fdo.osgeo.org as well.  

gordon

ps. You could always grab them from FDOToolbox from Jackie's build: 

http://code.google.com/p/fdotoolbox/source/browse/trunk/Thirdparty/Fdo_x64/

ps.  Also, SQL Server Provider is a bit of a pain compared to the Oracle Provider - it needs a schema filter for non-native or non SQL Server F_* tables

Message 6 of 7
KrakowiAneczka
in reply to: gluckett

O Boze! ....... That's way beyond me!

Map 2012 without SP1 doesn't sound that bad after all 😉

I think I may wait for SP2 🙂

Message 7 of 7
Gary_Braun

I had better follow up on myself.

This morning I put the SP1 version of the aforementioned dll's back into my FDO folder and tried all of this again, only this time the SQL connection and join went fine. So I'm going to close out this thread by saying I think there were other issues at play causing problems with the databases I was trying to connect to, and the service pack files are fine.

Thanks for your responses everyone.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost