AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Map 2012 - install 32 bit on 64 bit

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
lveit
3917 Views, 7 Replies

Map 2012 - install 32 bit on 64 bit

Is it possible to install the 32-bit version of Map 2012 on the 64-bit version of Windows 7?  We are using custom programs that only work in 32-bit.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: lveit

Hi,

sorry the simple answer is NO.

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 8
grimline

YES.

That is if you configure your 64 bit computer as a "dual boot" system windows 7 with 32 bit Vista or XP. "See here"

Autodesk AutoCAD Map 3D 2016
Windows 7 Professional
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4430 CPU @ 3.00 GHz
8.00 GB RAM
Message 4 of 8
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: grimline

Hi grimline,

>> YES [...]

And then you can start the pc with Win7x64 and run Map3Dx32?

I can imagine how the installation of Map3D under WinXPx32 will run, that's ok. But if you start then Win7x64 I can not imagine how Map3D would be runable as there are no registry-entries, not the correct paths, ...?
Could you describe how the installation should be done that this could work?

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 5 of 8
antoniovinci

lveit wrote:

Is it possible to install the 32-bit version of Map 2012 on the 64-bit version of Windows 7?

Yes you can, in this environment, but only having a Win7 Pro or higher.

Message 6 of 8

Hi,

>> Yes you can, in this environment

OK, yes ... VirtualXXX can run Map3Dx32 when the (Guest)OS for this VirtualXXX is a 32bit-OS. And once more yes, ... it's a great peace of software and I often need VMWare to do some testing for development (as it's easy to siimulate a lot of different environments without needing to setup a pc).

But for 10hours work a day I never would use any VirtualXXX as everything emulated is slower than the original, especially for AutoCAD the graphicsperformance is not the same as running on a performance-gc in the main-pc.

My question was (and I think also the question of the TO) Is there a way to run Map3Dx32 on an oSx64 (and that answer imho is NO).

Anyway thank you for thinking on VirtualXXX as that may help some people 😉

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Message 7 of 8
tomhurns
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Guys, trust me, the virtual solution is not viable for CAD work. I'm using 32bit AutoCAD on 64bit Windows day in day out, works fine. You do have to use a little utility to get it working though, and it costs a few bucks, but honestly it saved me a lot of headache and everything just works as before. It's called the Longbow Converter, search for it online.

Message 8 of 8
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: tomhurns

Hi,

>> It's called the Longbow Converter, search for it online

Yes, it's an option, but: are you sure that is legal?

If I read the license-agreement for AutoCAD (or any legacy rules for software, whatever source) no one is allowed to modify files from the vendor. What Longbow Converter does (as far as I understand it): it modifies the installation-script (that may be the allowed task), and it exchanges files (from 64bit to 32bit) ==> that is imho the critical part now.

If you have asked Autodesk if you are allowed to modify these files, then everything is ok (and let us know that also) 😉

Not that I say "it's forbidden", but I would first ask before doing that!

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost