AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for help importing Ascii points

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Jfactory
989 Views, 3 Replies

Looking for help importing Ascii points

Sitka 1/3 arc-second DEM is the page for the source of the .asc file.

I downloaded the rather large (190 mb) zipped file of a large ASCII file with a few extra things (readme, metadata, report)

I followed this how-to document.

And I get the error message "Cannot set the column 'Name'. The value violates the MaxLength limit of this column." And then nothing at all happens.  No data imported.

Also, if I can't find the coordinates they assigned to the Ascii and I choose one I always use for this area, could that be the problem?

And I'l attach a photo of the 'preview' screen before I get before the error message.

Thank you!

Tags (2)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
antoniovinci
in reply to: Jfactory

A DEM is not a XYZ file, it's a 3D model in Ascii format: I fear you won't load in Map, 'cause this is a Civil feature, sir.

Message 3 of 4
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: Jfactory

Hi,

already mentioned by Antoniovinci, you can't import that as points. But I would ask next: what do you want to do with that very large amout of raster-points?

What you can do with Map3D is to display it as raster-dem using command _MAPCONNECT, then choose the provider for raster on the left side, afterwards chose the file on the right side....gives this result:

2013-02-27 23-46-51.png

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 4 of 4
Jfactory
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Wow thank you very much!  I haven't made mine to look like yours but I'll do some experimenting 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost