AutoCAD Map 3D General Discussion

Active Contributor
Jfactory
Message 1 of 4 (526 Views)
Accepted Solution

Looking for help importing Ascii points

526 Views, 3 Replies
02-27-2013 01:41 PM

Sitka 1/3 arc-second DEM is the page for the source of the .asc file.

I downloaded the rather large (190 mb) zipped file of a large ASCII file with a few extra things (readme, metadata, report)

I followed this how-to document.

And I get the error message "Cannot set the column 'Name'. The value violates the MaxLength limit of this column." And then nothing at all happens.  No data imported.

Also, if I can't find the coordinates they assigned to the Ascii and I choose one I always use for this area, could that be the problem?

And I'l attach a photo of the 'preview' screen before I get before the error message.

Thank you!

Hi,

already mentioned by Antoniovinci, you can't import that as points. But I would ask next: what do you want to do with that very large amout of raster-points?

What you can do with Map3D is to display it as raster-dem using command _MAPCONNECT, then choose the provider for raster on the left side, afterwards chose the file on the right side....gives this result:

2013-02-27 23-46-51.png

- alfred -

*Expert Elite*
antoniovinci
Message 2 of 4 (513 Views)

Re: Looking for help importing Ascii points

02-27-2013 02:01 PM in reply to: Jfactory

A DEM is not a XYZ file, it's a 3D model in Ascii format: I fear you won't load in Map, 'cause this is a Civil feature, sir.

*Expert Elite*
Alfred.NESWADBA
Message 3 of 4 (504 Views)

02-27-2013 02:48 PM in reply to: Jfactory

Hi,

already mentioned by Antoniovinci, you can't import that as points. But I would ask next: what do you want to do with that very large amout of raster-points?

What you can do with Map3D is to display it as raster-dem using command _MAPCONNECT, then choose the provider for raster on the left side, afterwards chose the file on the right side....gives this result:

2013-02-27 23-46-51.png

- alfred -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Active Contributor
Jfactory
Message 4 of 4 (495 Views)

02-27-2013 03:39 PM in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Wow thank you very much!  I haven't made mine to look like yours but I'll do some experimenting :smileyhappy:

Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.