AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Live Area

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
calsask
441 Views, 8 Replies

Live Area

I have linked my drawing to a database with text inside a closed polyline. Is there a way to have the area of the closed polyline stored in the database as a live area.  

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: calsask

Hi,

if you have closed polylines, you can always click onto them and the Property-Window shows you the area. If you change the polygon and again select it, you see the modified area. Is that live enough?

Or what's the reason to save a value into data that already is available?

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 9
calsask
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi Alfred I need to have that changing area stored in an access database so other users that do not have AutoCAD can run queries on them. thanks
Message 4 of 9
Alfred.NESWADBA

Hi,

if the data is in an MDB-file you will have to do some export of the polygons. If you use the command _MAPEXPORT to export closed polylines you also can select the area of the polylines as an attribute to be included in the export.

If you are speaking from objects that you have connected via FDO, you can create a calculated field that creates a new column in your data. That column is just a virtual one, to get it exported you can e.g. use bulk-copy, with that function the virtual columns get real ones.

- alfred -

Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 5 of 9
thepworth
in reply to: Alfred.NESWADBA

but that is still static, correct?

What about bulk copy to a .SHP and then use the .DBF table as a read-only link into the Access database?  Then if folks move the polygons from a FDO connected SHP in Map, as long as the changes are saved back through the connection, the .dbf would be more or less "live".

Thoughts?

Message 6 of 9
antoniovinci
in reply to: thepworth

Well, without Autocad I think it's not possible to change dynamically the "area" Object Data.

If the stuff should stay static, there are several methods to achieve the goal: the mentioned .DBF, an export to Google Earth with attributes, a GeoDWF file, and maybe others.

Message 7 of 9
thepworth
in reply to: antoniovinci

My read was that the database users need access to areas as a result of the geometric shapes - hence my thoughts to convert to a .SHP where you can manage the geometry with Map and have "read only" access from the database users - that the database users won't be able to change the geometric shape but need to query areas (i.e. lot size or average lot size of multifamily residential development)

Perhaps our OP can feed us more information about specific needs.... 😉

Message 8 of 9
calsask
in reply to: thepworth

Yes the Access users can have 'read-only 'but how do you get live area to the database through a shp file? Also my drawing is in grid but I need to store a ground area in the database.
Message 9 of 9
thepworth

Aargh.... open mouth & insert foot....

The dbf stores the tabular information of the shapefile - the .shp portion of the shapefile stores geometry.  I was thinking that the .dbf had geometry in it, but you'd have to create a calculated field in the .shp or use bulk copy from 1 shp to a 2nd shp and populate the area in the tabular data based on the geometric area.  So, it would require a manual update from map to push into the shapefile's .dbf.  An intermediate step (or 2) 😞

Why do things in one step when 5 or 6 will suffice.....???????Smiley Mad

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost