AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Linking Excel spreadsheets to AutoCAD Map 3D via a colomn of data

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
liuliu.nfls
3295 Views, 10 Replies

Linking Excel spreadsheets to AutoCAD Map 3D via a colomn of data

Hello everybody,

I'm new on the forum, also with Map 3D.

I would like to link an Excel table to a SHP file via a column in commun. My SHP file and Excel Spreadsheet share one same column filled with numbers. So it's neither simply import Excel table, nor import with points.

But I don't know if I should use "Data Link" or "Add ODBC connection" or "FDO import", or some other fonctions...

Could you please help me to solve the problem?

Thank you very much.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
antoniovinci
in reply to: liuliu.nfls

You can do that in Autocad Map, but it's a true ordeal, so you'd better give up, madame.

Instead, easy as 1-2-3 it would be with a shape editor like Quantum Gis...

Message 3 of 11
liuliu.nfls
in reply to: antoniovinci

Oh, Thank you very much.

But I still can NOT believe that no one has done this action before using Map 3D...Smiley Frustrated

I will probably try Quantum Gis too! I will see you on the other forum so~~

Thanks a lot again.Cat Happy

Message 4 of 11

Hi,

>> But I still can NOT believe that no one has done this action before using Map 3D

I would never see Excel as database ... and so I have not done that yet (wnad will not do that in the future).

Create a real database from that data (E.g. SQLite, SQL-Server Express, all free) and continue then (don't forget to assign a primary-key, that might be the only banana skin in that workflow.

Good luck, - alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 5 of 11
antoniovinci

liuliu.nfls wrote:

But I still can NOT believe that no one has done this action before using Map 3D 

As I wrote, it's doable in Autocad Map, but through a very complicated workflow, as follows:

1. import the shape
  2. label it by common ID
  3. load the .XLS file via ODBC
  4. create a datalink between the ID labels, and the ID column of Excel table
  5. export the geometry having augmented Object Data to a new shapefile
Message 6 of 11
Murph_Map

Back in 2007/8 time frame I also linked/joined and Excel table to SDF polygon using FDO and an ODBC connection to Excel. However now days FDO has trouble reading a ODBC connection to excel.

My demo was showing how a nurse could change a patients status in excel and it would display on a map (floorplan) of the wing that the patient was assigned to. Example when the paient when down to get xrays an xray machine symbol would display in their room, if they went outside for fresh air a sunshine symbol, if at the gift shop a gift symbol, if eating a meal a fork & spoon symbol, etc.

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 7 of 11
liuliu.nfls

Hi,

Thank you again!

I would like to follow the 1-2-3 workflow that you mentioned! But the bug takes place each time at the 3rd Step.

First, it asks me every time to enter my 'Username' and 'Password' for a connection, but Excel is an open software isn't it? I mean, we don't need to have a Username for Excel...

Second, The ODBC connection cannot be established when I 'Test Connection'. It says 'External component has thrown an exception'...

But as you wrote, the Quantum Gis is quite easy to use, especially for linkings... So I am now working on QGis without abandonning Map3D. Hope that the two software are compatible?Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 11
liuliu.nfls
in reply to: Murph_Map

Hi, Thank you for your reply! Perhaps it is really a trouble in the new version of Map 3D (I am actually using the Version 2014).

To precise what I am doing: I would like to integrate caracteristical statistics of each municipality of a region (in the Excel spreadsheet) into the Shape File of the region (in Map 3D), say Municipality i has X population, Y employment, Z housings. The Shape File and Excel spreadsheet share two same colomns named respectively 'Municipality name'(letters) and 'Postal code'(entire numbers).
So if we link them together, we can understand caracteristics of each municipality in the space.

Easy to say right? But I can't do that on Map 3D 2014...

Message 9 of 11

Hi, thanks for your comment!

I do have to link a real database 'MySql' to Map 3D too, I am not yet at this stage.

But I will think about your indication when I link my SQL database to my SHP!

See you soon thenSmiley Wink

Message 10 of 11
ewharton

I have had exactly the same issue with no apparent resolution.  Clearly the Autocad documentation describes joining external data to shapefiles in MAP, but the ODBC or FDO connection generates errors.

Message 11 of 11
Murph_Map

The ODBC drivers are all MicroSoft Autodesk has limited control over them in the newer versions. Then throw in 32 vs 64 bit applications and watch the fireworks or should it be fireNOTworks.

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost