AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

link points from excel to data in a shp file

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Chris_Baze
730 Views, 10 Replies

link points from excel to data in a shp file

I have a bunch of points in Excel that contain X and Y placement coordines for 3D buildings. I also have a .shp file with building footprints and a lot of useful information about the buildings. I would somehow like to populate the information from the .shp file or otherwise link the data back into my exel sheet. There is no common information between my .shp and .xls files, but if I were to plot out the points from by .xls file, the points would be encompassed by the cooresponding building footprint. Is there any way to combine these two data sets, with the only connection being that they are both in the same place in the real world? 

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
braudpat
in reply to: Chris_Baze

Hello from France

So you have a XLS file with X & Y columns/fields + maybe some other Infos ...

Q1) How many rows in your XLS about ?

So you have a building SHP file with the footprint (closed pline, I imagine) + a lot of Infos

Q2) How many buildings about ?

The XY XLS Coordinates are ALWAYS INSIDE the SHP footprint !?

and you have not ANY columns/fields which could relate the SHP footprint to the XY XLS !?

I am right ?

Bye, Pat

Patrice ( Supporting Troops ) - Autodesk Expert Elite
If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 3 of 11
Chris_Baze
in reply to: braudpat

1. I have 4 spreadsheets with ~120 points each to start with. This is just a sample though, I'd eventually like to include a few thousand points/buildings. 

2. .shp file contains maybe 40k building footprints. they came into AutoCAD Map as MPolygons. I don't need all of them for now though. 

I'll have to do some adjusting, but for now let's assume that my points always fall within the .shp file footprints. There unfortunately is not a single column in the spreasheed that relates to the data in the .shp file. 

Message 4 of 11
antoniovinci

Would you please upload one of those .XLS as long as its containing shapefile?

Message 5 of 11
Murph_Map

Depending on your workstation and OS, but you may be able to use Data Connect and use an overlay to get what you need. Use the ODBC administrator to make an ODBC connection and connect to the Excel files using the X-Y data then data connect to the shp file(s) and run a feature overlay with union option. 

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 6 of 11
Chris_Baze
in reply to: antoniovinci

Here are the building footprints: http://gisftp.hicentral.com/Layers/Structures_Facilities/Structure_Footprints.zip Projection: State Plane Oahu, Zone 3, feet

An example .csv file is attached. For the .csv file, the projection is WGS 84 UTM Zone 4.

Message 7 of 11
antoniovinci

Chris_Baze wrote:

An example .csv file is attached

Sorry sir, but that .CSV contains 72 identical X,Y pairs, i.e. :

621004.54006435, 2353108.15500798

yielding one only point...

If you are allowed to, please upload the whole spreadsheet, thx.

Message 8 of 11
Chris_Baze

Oops, sorry. Here is the correct spreadsheet.

Message 9 of 11
antoniovinci

Got it, check the attachment out: have I understood what you meant..?

Message 10 of 11
Chris_Baze

Beautiful! How did you do it? Also, many of the points are slightly off from the building footprints, so the data did not translate as expected. Is it possible to offset the building perimeters to more accurately catch their associated points? Or could I somehow graphically adjust the points so that they fall within the building footprints and associate with the correct data? Thanks for your help!

Message 11 of 11
antoniovinci

Chris_Baze wrote:

How did you do it?

Since my Map2006 does not support FDO, I used Qgis to do that: in your case, I advise you applying the above Murph's tip.

Chris_Baze wrote:

Is it possible to offset the building perimeters to more accurately catch their associated points? 

Nope.

Chris_Baze wrote:

Or could I somehow graphically adjust the points so that they fall within the building footprints and associate with the correct data? 

Definetely yes.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost