AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

legend and attributes of a WMS service

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
swt-gis
1345 Views, 7 Replies

legend and attributes of a WMS service

I use a WMS service as a FDO datasource in AutoCAD Map. This works well.

- How can I view the legend (GetLegendGraphic)?
- How can I access the attributes (GetFeatureInfo)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Jens

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
phil_borycens
in reply to: swt-gis

Hi Jens,

Good question - this all depends on the WMS service and how they setup their sites. You might be able to change the connection string after the "?" to GetLegendGraphic or GetFeatureInfo from whatever you had originally, but those are only going to work if they actually have those parameters defined.

This site has a good explanation of how their WMS services work:

http://www.nationalatlas.gov/infodocs/ogcwms.html

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks!

Phil

Phil Borycens
Message 3 of 8
swt-gis
in reply to: phil_borycens

Phil,

thanks for the answer.

1. Legend
If I understood you correctly, I have to make the GetLegendGraphic request outside AutoCAD Map. This works, but it would also be nice to have a button in AutoCAD Map to show the legend. If there is no button inside AutoCAD Map, then I make the request via a browser - that's ok.

2. Attributes
I know that I can use a GetFeatureInfo in a browser to get the attributes of an object. But this is not quite useful because I have to know the x/y coordinates: “….REQUEST=GetFeatureInfo&X=98765&Y=12345….”
Is there no button inside AutoCAD Map to make a GetFeatureInfo request?

Regards

Jens

Message 4 of 8
phil_borycens

There are no buttons in AutoCAD Map 3D to make these requests. WMS is an image service. If you are looking for attribute data that is associated with map features, maybe you really need a WFS (vector) service?

Phil Borycens
Message 5 of 8
swt-gis
in reply to: phil_borycens

Phil,

thank you for confirming that AutoCAD Map has no button for a GetFeatureInfo-request and a GetLegendGraphic-request.

For the GetLegendGraphic-request you can easily use the browser.

But for the GetFeatureInfo-request, it would be useful to have a button in a future AutoCAD Map release. Other GIS have such a button to retrieve the attributes of an objekt in a WMS service.

Thanks for the help

Jens

Message 6 of 8

borycep wrote:

WMS is an image service

It doesn't matter, sir: the info you can get from it, depend on what a given WMS server can offer.

For instance, here's a WMS layer from the Italy's Environment Department:

http://wms.pcn.minambiente.it/ogc?map=/ms_ogc/WMS_v1.3/Vettoriali/LimitiAmministrativi_2011.map

If you query it with an opensource Qgis, you receive full info about the region where you clicked into: check this out.

Message 7 of 8
swt-gis
in reply to: antoniovinci

Thanks for the example, antoniovinci.

The example clearly shows that a GetFeatureInfo-request is very important. All areas in the map look the same. Only by using a GetFeatureInfo-request I can access the attributes and use the information about the areas.

Jens

Message 8 of 8
swt-gis

The German Autodesk support has given the solution: AutoCAD Map 2013 has a function to query the attributes of an object in a WMS service!

-    In Display Manager, right-click a WMS layer.
-    Click Get WMS Feature Information.
-    Click Raster Layer tab - View panel - WMS Feature Information.
-     Click a point on the image
-    The WMS Feature Information dialog box is displayed.

This seams to be a new feature in the 2013 release of AutoCAD Map. I can not test is because I only have 2012.

Jens

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost