AutoCAD Map 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s AutoCAD Map 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Map 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Large Aerial Images inserted into 1 file? Processing Image

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
LeafRiders
2366 Views, 4 Replies

Large Aerial Images inserted into 1 file? Processing Image

For those professionals out there who handle multiple aerial images in one file. How on earlh within Map 3D or Civil 3D 2012 would or should you insert 10 image files (750MB each) into 1 file? Outside of  using MAPIINSERT command, the image processing and loading time is not managable.

The alternate choice is to combine all the images using into 1 file and convert to MrSID file of some sort. I wondered if in 2012 or 2013 if the memo was received at Autodesk that working with aerial images of this magnitude isn't possible with their software and maybe upgrades are within 2013 or I'm missing something in 2012 to make this doable.

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
hence_the_name
in reply to: LeafRiders

Hi,

the way I have dealt with situations like this is to load all images into the drawing but using the option "Show frames only".

Then I turn on/off the image I need when working in a specific area via Properties window.

Not ideal but might be an option.

In an older project we did this bit differently:

- load images as described into drawing

- label images with file name (using map annotation).

- save drawing

- attach drawing containing images to host drawing

- load image when needed via xref mananger (or something like this - can't remember).

But that was back then with Map 2008 or 2009 - I think something has changed in AutoCAD and the last step doesn't work anymore in newer versions.

Rob

http://raumpatrouille3d.blogspot.ch/
Message 3 of 5

I use successfully the Ro_fr method since 1999, but I find that new computers can handle huge merged raster.

With the opensource Qgis it's possible to join several georasters in one, and the result (best in 256 colors, compression LZW or Packbits) will be georeferenced.

Message 4 of 5
cjneper

The best solution I have found is to compress the images into .ECW format using the GlobalMapper software.  Map handles them pretty well, better than Sid files.  I can work with an entire county of high res photos this way, totaling 10 Gb roughly, and I still have a 32 bit WinXP machine.  Map is still not even close to other software like ArcMap's image capabilities, and I have been pointing that out to them for years...

Message 5 of 5
cedwards8511

Are the images georeferenced?  If they are, you can try using Data Connect to add them into your drawing.  I do this with NAIP imagery all of the time.

Hopefully your memory can handle this much data.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

”Boost